cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting up files/folders from the Dropbox desktop app

Starting up files/folders from the Dropbox desktop app

songseeds
Explorer | Level 3

I've searched for some information a bunch of different ways but keep coming up blank so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.  

When working with files/folders in the Dropbox desktop app should a user move the file/folder from the Dropbox folder to a local storage device (ie. a hard drive on your computer) and THEN open it up in an application for work, 

OR

start up the file/folder inside the Dropbox desktop app and run it from there?

I know this seems like cloud basics 101 but I'll be darned if I can find a straight answer.

thanks,

rick clingman

songseeds records

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Starting up files/folders from the Dropbox desktop app

Rich
Super User II

@songseeds wrote:

... should a user move the file/folder from the Dropbox folder to a local storage device (ie. a hard drive on your computer) and THEN open it up in an application for work, OR start up the file/folder inside the Dropbox desktop app and run it from there?

Just open and work on your files directly from the Dropbox folder. There's no need to move them out of the Dropbox folder to local storage because the Dropbox folder IS local storage. It's just a regular folder like any other on your computer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@songseeds wrote:

... should a user move the file/folder from the Dropbox folder to a local storage device (ie. a hard drive on your computer) and THEN open it up in an application for work, OR start up the file/folder inside the Dropbox desktop app and run it from there?

Just open and work on your files directly from the Dropbox folder. There's no need to move them out of the Dropbox folder to local storage because the Dropbox folder IS local storage. It's just a regular folder like any other on your computer.

songseeds
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich,

Very helpful to know.  

rick clingman

songseeds records

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

songseeds Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?