cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status says files syncing, but the number never changes

Status says files syncing, but the number never changes

junker37
New member | Level 2

I have Dropbox running on three computers that are all running ubuntu 18.04.  Two of the three computers are up to date, however, one is stuck syncing.  The status looks like so:
Syncing 38,406 files • 4 days
Downloading 38,406 files (0.6 KB/sec, 4 days)
It has been stuck like that for hours.  My internet connection is working as expected for everything else.

I've rebooted the computer multiple times and restarted Dropbox as well.  Nothing will update the status.  I don't see any network traffic.

Is there some way I can view the logs in ~/.dropbox/logs?

7 Replies 7

Re: Status says files syncing, but the number never changes

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @junker37, sorry to hear you're having trouble with syncing your files. 

To have a bit more of an in depth investigation on this, I've sent you a ticket to the email associated with your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your email for my message and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @junker37,

There is something you can check for. Typical reason for such behaviour is restricted access to some file(s) and/or directory(ies). Check that every entry (file/directory) in your Dropbox directory is owned by you and you have appropriate read and write permissions.

Hope this gives some directions. :wink:

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @junker37,

Just wanted to follow up here and see if your issue you were facing was resolved? If so, could you please share the steps needed to do so?

We'll be looking forward to your update - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

junker37
New member | Level 2
It was file owner/permissions some file(s), but they were tough to locate because the log didn't mention which file(sl were the problem. I'm also not sure why Dropbox doesn't continue to process other files when it encounters one it can't.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for updating us here @junker37!

I'm sure this will be helpful for others who might have the same issue. :grin:

As for why the sync didn't proceed around these files, it's most likely that the permissions caused the app to get stuck trying to sync the content continuously. That being said, I'll make sure to pass along your comments to our team regarding this, we always appreciate feedback!

Have a great day - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

CF4044
New member | Level 2

I also have this problem but I don;t know which file is causing it to get stuck.

Is there some way I can find which is the file that is causing the problem, so that I can change the permissions, remove it or whatever is needed?

Please update the software so that it can:

1. Indicate which file/s cause the problem

2. Have an option to skip such files and move ahead with the other files rather than just getting stuck.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @CF4044,

One way to find out some troublesome files/folders is usage of something like following:

find ~/Dropbox ! \( -user "$(id -un)" -and -perm -u+rw \) -and -exec ls -ld {} \;

On the resulting list you will be able see who is the corresponding file/folder owner and the permission assigned, so will be able correct them (whatever needed - using "chown" and/or "chmod"). Change "~/Dropbox" to actual place, if got moved and resides on a place other than the default.

Hope this helps.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?