cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop DB from updating a particular Max, but still be able to see the folder Owner

Stop DB from updating a particular Max, but still be able to see the folder Owner

BillRamsay
Explorer | Level 3

I have a question related to deleted folders where neither DB or myself can initiate an undelete or rewind.  Theres on open ticket.

I have one Mac with the DB folders showing in Finder. When I started this laptop up I managed to shut down wifi so they weren't "synched"; so I can still see the thousands of files. Sadly we use SmartSynch and they are not on the hard drive...

In DB (still not connected to the internet) I can see the members icon but because I'm not online it won't provide me with the detail of who the Owner is (this is the crux of my issue - we think there is a corruption in the "owner", who is me).

Question: Is there a way to go back online to enable me to confirm the folder owner without having DB synch the folders and thereby losing the folder structures in Finder? 

Thanks in advance folks!

4 Replies 4

Re: Stop DB from updating a particular Max, but still be able to see the folder Owner

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @BillRamsay, thanks for posting your question here. 

You can make sure that the desktop app isn't running, which you can do by having a look through your menu bar and your Activity Monitor, before turning your WiFi on. 

From there, once you've checked that, you can go through the website to find the ownership of the share folder in question.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Stop DB from updating a particular Max, but still be able to see the folder Owner

BillRamsay
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lusil, thanks for your suggestion.

I just want to confirm the process you’re suggesting please.

If I sign out of the DB desktop app on my Mac and go onto the Internet will the files and folders outline remain visible in Finder? And what process would I use to find the Owner at that point? I already know that logging into my DB account will be fruitless because I’ve done it multiple times on other machines in the process of trying to recover these files.

My fear is that the one record I have of the 7K files could be lost if this particular Mac “updates” and loses the empty file and folder structures.

I’ve also asked the support agent if DB has a support escalation process but haven’t had a response. I would pay for DB to search the folders.

Thanks, bill

Lusil
Dropboxer
If you log out of the desktop app, the Dropbox folder becomes like any other folder, that doesn't sync. 

However, you don't have to sign out of the desktop app, you can simply stop it from running by closing it from your menu bar. 

That way, your desktop app won't start syncing content once you turn WiFi on, and you can check through the web for who the owner of a shared folder is. 

If the shared folder though has been removed from your account, then you'll have to get in touch with other members to find more info on this. 

In the meantime, I was able to find your ticket and can see that a member of my team has replied to you. 

Whenever you have a moment, have a look at what they mention and don't hesitate to get back to them with any additional questions. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

BillRamsay
Explorer | Level 3
OK it seems we are at an impasse because DB doesn’t want to even acknowledge the possibility of a technical issue on your side - or to even investigate. The folder was created inside my own DB - all files -7k of them - were added inside my own DB. There is no entry in deleted files , I can’t do a rewind, I can find the folder via a search (shows Deleted folder and offers a restore button but then says Oops! Does that sound like the system is working as it says on the box?. So it’s either my folder which I’ve deleted and should be able to get back or there a possibility of a problem on your side.

Constantly telling me to get the person to share the folder with me again is not helping. It’s my folder....

As I said if DB offered to get a tech to look at it I’d appreciate it.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?