cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Dropbox from downloading online only files in save dialogs

Stop Dropbox from downloading online only files in save dialogs

New member | Level 2

Hello,

for quite some time I have the following problem with online-only files on MacOS: If I navigate to an online-only folder from a save dialog to save a file, dropbox will start download all single-files from this folder to my machine and beachball the save dialog until all files are downloaded. This is especially annoying if you have huge files in the folder which I don't even want to download in the first place. This seems to occur in a lot of common programs, but not in all of them. Some programs where this is happening: All of MS Office, all programs of the Adobe Creative Suite, OpenOffice etc. My work-around is to save files to the desktop and then move them to the destination folder manually with the finder. This has been going on for multiple versions of MacOS and dropbox. Is this a known problem? Or is there any way to disable this? Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Re: Stop Dropbox from downloading online only files in save dialogs

Super User II

@czehnter wrote:

Is this a known problem? Or is there any way to disable this?

It's actually not a problem, and Dropbox is doing what it's supposed to.

When files are marked as Online-only, whenever one of those files is accessed, either by you directly or some other process, Dropbox has to download the file and mark it as Local again. Any application accessing a file for any reason will cause Dropbox to download it again.

If you see this happening in Save dialogs, then it's because the program you're using is attempting to access those files. It could be to load file previews (the usual culprit), meta data, etc. Simply put, it's the application you're using that is saying "Hey, Dropbox, I need that file. Download it."

Re: Stop Dropbox from downloading online only files in save dialogs

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Rich wrote:
... Simply put, it's the application you're using that is saying "Hey, Dropbox, I need that file. Download it."

😄😃😀

Hi @Rich,

Yes, but not exactly! Using your "language" a more correct representation would be something like: "Hey, Dropbox, I need a piece of that file. Give me that piece." 🙋 This doesn't mean entire file, just up to few dozen of bytes, typically. Not more.

Hi @czehnter,

Your description shows an imperfection of the feature implementation. Could be considered bug. I have shared idea for reconsidering the way accouts content gets represented. The idea covers different related issues, including yours. 😉 You can vote up, if you want.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?