cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stop autoplay when opening audio links (Dropbox iOS)

Stop autoplay when opening audio links (Dropbox iOS)

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I use Dropbox for file management, including large audio files. When I open a Dropbox link in iOS Safari, I am taken to the iOS Dropbox app, and (unfortunately) the iOS Dropbox app automatically plays the audio file.

This is problematic behavior for my purposes.

(1) What is the logic behind autoplay?

(2) Is there any way to turn it off?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I appreciate the help. Changing the URL or requesting desktop sites on a mobile phone might work, but it’s cumbersome as a workaround. As such, in iOS, shared links to audio files, links originally created by Dropbox, will autoplay when opened in the app. That is the default behavior that ultimately emerges. I’ll take the opportunity to request a global “off” button for autoplay in the Dropbox iOS app.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Little S.1 - how are you today?

Could you please let me know if you notice the same behavior on another browser and for all of your shared links? 

By the way, what version of the mobile app are you using on this specific device? Can you check for any updates in your mobile's App Store?

Last but not least, if you notice this happening for all of your shared links and on other browsers, could you forward me a shared link for testing purposes to see if I can reproduce this on my end?

Thanks so much in advance!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

(1) Based on your email, I assume that autoplay is not intended?

(2) I am running the lastest iOS Dropbox app version (148.2) on Apple's latest iOS version. My device is an iPhone 8.

(3) I tested the autoplay behavior using several different links. All audio files autoplay - confirmed.

(3) I tested the links using other browsers (tried several). Dropbox links in the browser open the iOS Dropbox app, and then the audio file automatically plays. Confirmed.

I can send you a link to a file. However, I imagine you can recreate this behavior using your own links. If you would prefer to use one of my Dropbox links, please provide an email where I can send it, as I do not want to post the link pubically. 

Thanks,

LS

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @Little S.1 - much appreciated!

I ran some tests on my end and the results were not exactly the same as I got an option to open the files through the mobile app or continue to the website. 

At this point, I'm wondering if you'll get the same results if you used the desktop version of the browser you use to access the shared links in question and more importantly if you force the shared link to download the file it points to instead of previewing. Could you give it a go and let me know how it goes?

Specifically to force a browser to download the contents of a link rather than display it, you can use dl=1 as a query parameter in your URL. For example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1b2c3d4ef5gh6/example.docx?dl=1

Note: The original shared link URL may contain query string parameters already (for example, dl=0). App developers should be sure to properly parse the URL and add or modify parameters as needed. The links may also redirect to *.dropbox.com/s/dl 

Also, note that the most recent version for iOS devices just got out and it's currently v. 150.2 (here's a direct link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330). I'd suggest that you updated to this version as soon as possible.

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I have now updated to 150.2

1) The Dropbox links I am using end in dl=0. They are the sharable links as created in Dropbox

2) On a desktop browser, my links to audio files do not automatically play

3) In order to replicate your process, I deleted and re-downloaded the iOS Dropbox app. When opening Dropbox links in a browser, I am now given the option to use the app or continue to the mobile website. If I go to Dropbox's mobile website, there is no autoplay. If I go to the Dropbox app, then yes to autoplay.

Hope that helps

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @Little S.1!

Just a note here, I was referring to the desktop version of your mobile browser(s. For Safari, for example, you'd need to tap for a while on the refresh button on the page you are and request the desktop site's version.

Also, how's forcing the links' downloads working out for you? Did you give it a go at all (changing the dl=0 to dl=1 that is)?  

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I appreciate the help. Changing the URL or requesting desktop sites on a mobile phone might work, but it’s cumbersome as a workaround. As such, in iOS, shared links to audio files, links originally created by Dropbox, will autoplay when opened in the app. That is the default behavior that ultimately emerges. I’ll take the opportunity to request a global “off” button for autoplay in the Dropbox iOS app.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your concern in the end @Little S.1 - I'll also be passing your suggestion to our team - thank you for this feedback.

If there's anything else you'd like to add, don't hesitate to let us know; we're just a post away.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?