cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping access to a shared file

Stopping access to a shared file

Explorer | Level 3

I have a file that I shared with a client (the file and contents). The client has uploaded a lot of material and created a new foler within this folder (on my account) and shared the content of this folder and the folder I set up for him to upload with a third party.

I want to stop access to this folder with the client. How do I do this? I have also asked the client to remove the folder and contents he created on my drop box account and remove the access for the third party.

If the client does not do this how can I prevent access to the folder and its contents to both my client and the person he shared the new folder to? How is this even possible that someone can create a folder onm my account and use up my storage and share this wiyth a third party without the system letting me know. This is a breach of Privacy surely?

4 Replies 4

Re: Stopping access to a shared file

Dropboxer

Hi there @JaySee67; welcome to the Community!

You can’t share a folder inside of a shared folder, unless you’re a Dropbox Business user; are you a member of a Dropbox for Business team account perhaps? 

In any case, if you'd like to remove their access from the shared folder and its content, you'll need to unshare it using these steps

Let me know if you have any follow up questions and happy November, Jay! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
All I can say is what has happened. I gave access to my client to a folder of photos. He then created a new folder in the same folder uploaded some photos and shared them with a third party. I am on a free account. You say it's not possible but that's what happened. How is this ok from the Privacy Act perspective? How do I show you that this has happened. I believe he has a paid account but this shouldn't make any difference, a third party should not be able to do all this in my account unless I have allowed them too. This should NOT be a default. This could be potentially dangerous (depending on what material the third party is sharing with another party) and should NOT be possible without verification or permission.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @JaySee67!

Did they perhaps share a link to the folder to the 3rd person? Or did they perhaps share the parent folder?

Since you're using the Basic free account, they would only be able to add another person as a member of the shared folder to the parent folder, not only a subfolder.

If you'd like to, you can send along a screenshot of what you're seeing, excluding any personal info like your email address.

Also, you can disallow other folder members sharing the folder further by changing the folder settings to allow only the owner to do this.

You can follow the steps below to change this setting:

1. Navigate to the shared folder in your account online.
  2. Click the "Share" option.
  3. Click the gear icon in the top right of the sharing window.
  4. Under "Manage access" change the dropdown menu to "Only the owner".

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
I've tried to delete the folder the person I have gave access to created in a folder I created and shared and I cannot. It says he is the owner of a folder created by him inside a folder I shared with him. This is my account and I should be able to delete anything or anyone from MY account. Even if I shared a folder with them I should be able to revoke access to any part of MY account regardless of who was allowed to set whatever up within my account. THIS IS A SERIOUS FLAW IN SECURITY OF MY ACCOUNT.
Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?