cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping backup

Stopping backup

Kevin Wallis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am trying to follow the instructions below, but when I go into Preferences and the Backup tab I don't see any of the folders at all so I can't uncheck them. Likewise for uncheck My Mac/My PC.

Help please!

Turn off computer backup

Notes:

• You must have the Dropbox desktop application installed to turn off computer backup. If you already uninstalled the desktop application, reinstall the desktop application to turn off computer backup.
  • Deleting the files or folders in “My PC” or “My Mac” will delete those files from both Dropbox and your computer. 
  • If you no longer have access to the device, you can turn off computer backup by unlinking the device from your Dropbox account.

To turn off computer backup:

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Backups tab.
  3. Click Manage backup
  4. Uncheck the folders you’d like to stop backing up to Dropbox or uncheck My Mac/My PC to turn off backup for all folders at once. 
  5. Click Save.
  6. Choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac or Leave content in Dropbox.
    • If you choose Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac, the files and folders you stopped backing up can be found in their original folders on your computer. 
    • If you choose Leave content in Dropbox, new files you add to those folders will save to their original folders on your computer, but the files and folders you previously backed up to Dropbox with computer backup will remain in your Dropbox account. On your computer, they’ll be accessible by shortcuts, in their original folders, called “My files in Dropbox”. 
      • Note: If you see Set Up instead, it means computer backup is already off.
  7. Click Stop backup.
  8. Click Close.
7 Replies 7

Re: Stopping backup

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Kevin Wallis, thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send me a screenshot of the options you're getting under the Backups tab in the app's preferences

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kevin Wallis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter and thank you for responding to my message. Please see below the screen dump as requested (for some reason it wouldn't let me copy and paste into this post so I had to save it as a .JPEG file first and upload it). Regards, Kevin.

Dropbox Preferences.jpg

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Kevin Wallis, thank you for the screenshot! 

Do you follow the steps to disable the feature on the same device you enabled it on? 

If yes, then chances are you have already managed to disable it before, this is why you don't see the options now.

Thank you!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kevin Wallis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did follow the steps to disable the feature on the same device I enabled it on. However that did not stop it from continuing to "backup" (or more correctly move  files from) my laptop c: drive to the cloud. How do I stop it doing that and let me move my folders / files permanently back to the C: drive, please?

Thanks and regards, Kevin.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Kevin Wallis

Have you tried accessing the "My PC" folder that is located inside your Dropbox folder, and moving the files on their original paths? 

Can you try and let me know how this goes? 

Thank you!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Kevin Wallis
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori, Yes I have now done that and it does seem to have worked - strange though because that is what I thought I had done previously and it then put all the files back again to Dropbox. Is it safe for me to also delete the empty folders in Dropbox that had the files in before I moved them back to the C: drive? I ask because there is a message that says it's going to delete them "everywhere" and obviously I don't want them deleted from the C: now that I've got that sorted. Thanks, Kevin.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @Kevin Wallis!

Happy to see this worked out for you! 

As for the empty folders, you could delete them from your Dropbox account, since they've got nothing in them.

The message you see about files and folders getting deleted from everywhere, means that they will be off of your Dropbox folder, and the website (not their original paths).

ut that wouldn't be a issue, since they are empty and you have moved the content to where it should be, right? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    Kevin Wallis Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?