cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping sync

Adam1963
New member | Level 2

My Dropbox is full and I want to stop some of the folders on my macbook from sync'ing to dropbox to free up some space.  I have looked online and have found these instructions:

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Sync tab.
  3. Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).
  4. Check the folders you’d like saved on your hard drive. Uncheck the folders you’d like removed.
  5. Click Update.

I have opened the app but there is not sync tab that I can find anywhere. Where is the sync tab? Can anyone help?  Thank you very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Stopping sync

Rich
Super User II

@Adam1963 wrote:

My Dropbox is full and I want to stop some of the folders on my macbook from sync'ing to dropbox to free up some space. 

• Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).

This actually won't solve your space issue. Selective Sync will remove the folders from your computer, leaving them in your Dropbox account using space. The intent of Selective Sync is to free up disk space on your local drive; not Dropbox.

If you have folders in your Dropbox that you no longer want to sync, move them out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your computer. This will sync to Dropbox as a deletion, and the folders will be removed from your account online.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Adam1963 wrote:

My Dropbox is full and I want to stop some of the folders on my macbook from sync'ing to dropbox to free up some space. 

• Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).

This actually won't solve your space issue. Selective Sync will remove the folders from your computer, leaving them in your Dropbox account using space. The intent of Selective Sync is to free up disk space on your local drive; not Dropbox.

If you have folders in your Dropbox that you no longer want to sync, move them out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your computer. This will sync to Dropbox as a deletion, and the folders will be removed from your account online.

View solution in original post

Adam1963
New member | Level 2

Thanks!

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?