cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Storage and Shared Folders

Storage and Shared Folders

stampcolorandcreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A team member shared their folder with me so that I can upload things to her account.  I help her manage her business by creating graphics for it.  She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.  Why is this happening?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@stampcolorandcreate wrote:

She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.

Not quite accurate. You are uploading to your account. Any shared folder that you're a member of exists in and takes up space in your own account as well, so you need to have enough available space in your account in order to hold the full shared folder.

You'll either need to upgrade your own account, or ask her to send you a File Request so you can upload files directly to her account without having to add them to your own. Note that a File Request is one-way. Once uploaded, you wouldn't have access to the files you upload.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@stampcolorandcreate wrote:

She pays for 2 TB's per month.  I have a basic account.  I am now being told that I have run out of space and cannot upload to her shared folder.  Why?  I am uploading to her account not mine. Her shared folder should not count against my storage space.

Not quite accurate. You are uploading to your account. Any shared folder that you're a member of exists in and takes up space in your own account as well, so you need to have enough available space in your account in order to hold the full shared folder.

You'll either need to upgrade your own account, or ask her to send you a File Request so you can upload files directly to her account without having to add them to your own. Note that a File Request is one-way. Once uploaded, you wouldn't have access to the files you upload.

stampcolorandcreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you!  A file request might work because once I am done with them, I don't need to have access to them.  I will let her know.  Hopefully she knows how to do that.  Appreciate your help with this!

stampcolorandcreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh, lol. You linked me to directions! I will share those with her.  You are amazing! Thanks so much for your quick response.

stampcolorandcreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

One more question.  When she sends a file request, will that allow me to upload multiple files or does she need to send a request for each file I have ready to upload?

stampcolorandcreate
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just in case anyone else wants to know the answer to my last question, we tested it out and I can add more than one file at a time.  Now all I need to do is go to the request she sent and upload as need be.  Thanks again for all the help resolving this issue.  File Requests is a great solution that works for us.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @stampcolorandcreate, I'm glad to hear that @Rich helped out with this query. 

If you need any further assistance in future, please let us know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ronable
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Although I think I know the answer from a Dropbox info sheet (shared folders are counted against YOUR account's allocation of space), I still wonder why that's true, as it seems to obviate much of the utility of Dropbox.  Also, the info sheet says the solution is for the prime owner (in this case the business owner) to provide a 'shared folder link' to the folder.....but while you can see the contents of the folder, you won't be able to edit it and reload it!?!?  Again, obviates the utility, and what is the difference between a 'shared folder' and a 'shared folder link'?

Sibusiso_Khumalo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

the owner of the business account is trying to add me as a member but dropbox keeps showing a message that reads 'person not part of your team'

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sibusiso_Khumalo 

That means there is a restriction on the business team to allow people in the shared folders with none team members. They either need to change the settings on the account or add you as a paid user to the team. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?