cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage says it is full, but it is not

Storage says it is full, but it is not

jen2fe
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm new to these forums, so please bare with me.

I have an account with folders shared with me by my employer. We have plenty of storage, but when I log in I see a message every time saying I am almost out of storage. No one else on my team sees this when they log in. I did previously have a large folder with a lot of images in it, however I have completely deleted that as well as deleted it from the trash.

When I click on the plan page, here is what I see:

Personal Dropbox spaceUsing 1.93 GB of 2 GB
Regular files (0 bytes)
Shared files (1.93 GB)
Unused space (74.18 MB)

I would love to speak with someone at DropBox directly, but it does not look like that is an option.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @jen2fe 

You are nearly out of space - you only have 74mb of space left based upon the data you posted below. Shared folders use up the quota of every person within the share UNLESS you are a licensed team member of a Business plan. So, your colleagues either have more space, a paid plan or are part of a paid team. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @jen2fe 

You are nearly out of space - you only have 74mb of space left based upon the data you posted below. Shared folders use up the quota of every person within the share UNLESS you are a licensed team member of a Business plan. So, your colleagues either have more space, a paid plan or are part of a paid team. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Steven Cee
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Mark, I have a similar issue, but different. I don't share my acct. with anyone, and on my computer, my Dropbox folder has a total of about 850 mbs, yet the Dropbox site is telling me I have 2.63 GB out of 2.75 GB capacity!  Where is the nearly 2 gigs of extra files they believe I have?  And that figure only includes "Regular files", not any shared files. 

Which brings up my second question, you say that "shared folders use up the quota of ever person within the share". What do you mean by that? The only times I've shared a folder is when I've had mp3s and charts for songs, so band members could know what tunes we'll be playing, for a concert. So are you saying that once someone accesses a shared folder, they are somehow connected to my account, or that the files they may have downloaded count as to my storage space (beyond the ones that exist in the folder)?

Thanks for any help you may give me in clarifying my confusion.

yoporla
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I have a similar problem

Dropbox says that my box is full (2.25 Gb) but when I check using properties of windows I only have 1.21 Gb

I emptied my trash and I don't know where the extra storage comes from

Screenshot 2021-11-17 130217.png

any idea?

thanks

yoporla

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @yoporla & @steven C.8, I hope you're both doing well! 

In order for you to have a clear view of your account's quota, I suggest you check your plan's page

When using the app, you might have folders set to not sync using selective sync, or maybe invalid file names that don't sync. 

That's why there might be a mismatch.

Thank you very much!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Steven Cee
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I discovered the problem. An old user-name on my computer, had a Dropbox file with about 1.4 Gbs of files, which along with my current one, still don't quite come to the 2.63 the site is showing me. I can already see there some files on the site that I have already deleted some time ago, as well. But the tell was when I tried to sign in, it kept saying my email/password were incorrect. I had to create a completely new sign-in, but if Dropbox is somehow counting the old folder/user, and my current one, why wouldn't it accept the former email & username?  And why doesn't the page here show me both sets of files, if it's counting them both as mine? This is a confusing mess.

yoporla
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I found the not sync file, it's a shared file that I don't want to sync but I want to keep for use once in a while

Does it count as space on my Dropbox even though it is not on my computer or on my account?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @yoporla 

Yes. If that file appears on www.dropbox.com/home it is in your account and so uses your space. 

david_rand
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My dropbox folder contains only 270 Mb. (using the "Properties" window)

But I keep getting notifications that I am over my quota of 2 Gb.

WHY?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @david_rand, wishing you a wonderful Monday! 

The best way to check your account's quota is through our website. Can you check and let me know what you see there? 

Sometimes, you might apply different syncing settings on the desktop app that won't show all of your files and folders locally.

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Chooch New member | Level 2
    helpmerhonda New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?