cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage scam?

Storage scam?

Sascha1
Explorer | Level 4

For the first time in years I have run out of storage space in my Dropbox. 
My “space used” grew from 100% to 110% after deleting some files and to 143% after deleting many big files. 
Dropbox offers the “solution” for me to pay for more storage. 
There is now way to contact anybody about this.
Is this a scam??

4 Replies 4

Re: Storage scam?

Rich
Super User II

@Sascha1 wrote:

My “space used” grew from 100% to 110% after deleting some files and to 143% after deleting many big files. ... Is this a scam??

It's not a scam. Are you a member of any shared folders, which could be filling up your account as soon as you're making more room?

Sascha1
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I am.

BUT: why would my space used grow dramatically with deleting content??

Is it maybe because I had opened some of it to check before deleting or unlinking it??

If so, is there anything I can do to fix that?

To me this seem very much like a scam, as it shouldn't be this difficult to figure this out or get it rectified without having to pay up....

Rich
Super User II

@Sascha1 wrote:

BUT: why would my space used grow dramatically with deleting content??

Shared folders take up space in your account. If you're in a shared folder that hasn't fully synced to your account, as you delete files elsewhere you're making more space available so the shared folder will just fill it back up again with whatever files haven't finished syncing from the share.

If the shared folders are filling your account, you either need to delete files to make more room, upgrade, or remove the share from your account.

Sascha1
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, @Rich.

I appreciate your answers!

Today I am down to only 63% storage used without any further activity on my behalf.

There are only 2 alternatives, either:

1) something really dodgy is going on here, or

2) there are significant bugs making Dropbox kind of useless….

In any case, the complete lack of access to support from Dropbox is appalling.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sascha1 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?