cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Message

Strange Message

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All

I run a Music Library for a community choir and we have a link embedded in an icon in the Members Only area on our website, which takes the user to an index page for the library. This page is a Dropbox Paper document and contains links to further Dropbox Paper documents in the library, and then finally onto selected music scores or audio tracks. This has been working fine but recently I have been getting a strange message when i try to access the material in the library on my iPad. It still works fine on my iPhone or my Macbook laptop but on my iPad I get the first Paper document appearing but as soon as I select anything from it I get a message saying "Couldn't Preview This File' and a box underneath this giving me the option to Download the file. Clicking on the Download file box gives me an option to Download or Save To My Dropbox. neither of these appear to do anything. It just seems strange that the system still works on two machines but not on the iPad (it has always worked on the iPad before).  Just to complicate things further, a colleague is experiencing a similar issue but it works for her on her phone and iPad but not on her laptop. She is not using Apple products.  Any ideas anyone?

Kind regards

Steve Fennell

9 Replies 9

Re: Strange Message

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Steve Fennell, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Could you please clarify the version of the mobile app you're using and the device's exact OS version? 

If you could also include a screenshot of the error, I'd appreciate it. 

Cheers!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not too sure if I am answering this correctly but I don't think I am using the app.  I have set the music library up through the website and provided the link to our website controller who has embedded it in an icon on the website. Any person who can get into the Members Only area of the website can then click on the icon and it goes to the Dropbox link I have set up, which is basically an index page of further links. When I click on one of these the following screen appears.

IMG_2135.PNG

I don't know how to find what version of the app I might be using but the device is a 6th Generation iPad using OS version 14.8.1 if that is any help to you.  I cant understand why it works on my mobile phone and my laptop but not on the iPad.

Any help gratefully received

Kind regards

Steve F

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional information, Steve - much appreciated. 

Could you try clearing your browser's cache and/or another browser and let me know if you see any difference? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

I have changed the browser to Google Chrome which I use successfully on the laptop and the same error still occurs. However, I have discovered a banner at the top of the page when using either browser (Safari or Chrome) which says Dropbox Clout File Transfer and when I click on the Open button I can get passed the error message and the library works as it should.

IMG_2136.PNG

Hopefully that is some help in explaining this strange message.

Thank you for your help

Steve F

Walter
Dropboxer
It seems to be a prompt to download/open the mobile app, Steve. 

Are you logged into your account through our mobile app on all of your devices?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

I have the App on my iPhone, my iPad and my Macbook in my own name and I designed and administrate the choir account but use the same machines to manage this. I am not sure if I said above that it works fine on my Macbook and iPhone but when I use the iPad I was getting the initial page displayed but then the error message when I tried to access anything from this index page. I did find that there was a bar hidden at the top of the page which I found by scrolling. This was entitled Dropbox: Cloud File Transfer and when I clicked the Open button on this it started to work and is still working for me since. The problem is that this facility is available to all of the members of our choir by accessing the password protected area of our website and clicking on the Music Library icon within which the link to our Dropbox index page is embedded. As there are many people using a variety of machines to do this they are unlikely to all have the App already set up and several have reported not having the Dropbox: Cloud File Transfer bar to open. My initial understanding of the Dropbox function was that anyone I gave the link to would be able to see the document I had given them access to. I need to try to understand this issue so that I can advise the members what to do (simply) when this issue occurs. I am grateful for your help with this and hopefully it can be resolved.

Kind regards

Steve Fennell

Walter
Dropboxer
Since this file is a Paper doc, you might be seeing this because some of the people are on the 2020 release of Paper and others on the legacy version of Paper. 

I'll be happy to send you an email, if you'd like to look further into this internally @Steve Fennell

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Steve Fennell
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

That would be great thank you. Daft question but do I put my email address on here or is there a secure message service I can use?

thank you

Steve F

Walter
Dropboxer
No need for that @Steve Fennell - I just sent you an email to the email address that's connected to your profile here, in our Community.

Whenever you get the chance, please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    Steve Fennell Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?