cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck syncing 291 files, some have red X's

Highlighted

Stuck syncing 291 files, some have red X's

Explorer | Level 4

I noticed recently that several of my files are not synced.  I think this started several weeks ago, but I don't know exactly when.  Dropbox originally showed that it was syncing 100-something files, but wasn't making any progress.

I tried unlinking and relinking per this solution, but it didn't help.  It got stuck again, with a larger number of files syncing (200-something).

I also searched for files containing forward slashes and backslashes per this link, and renamed any files containing those characters, and then restarted Dropbox.  When that didn't work, I tried unlinking and re-linking again, and now it's up to 291 files.

I tried disabling my antivirus, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Also, some of the files that have the red X actually *do* appear to be synced (I can see them on the web interface), so I'm really not sure what's going on.

I am using Mac OS X Mojave, and Dropbox version 88.4.172.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Stuck syncing 291 files, some have red X's

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @drmiller, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Files can show the red X sync icon for a number of reasons, but overall it means those files aren't syncing.

Can you try moving those files showing the red X icons outside of the Dropbox folder on your computer to see if that allows syncing to progress?

If it does, let the sync finish until the app's sync staus shows "Up to date", and then try moving those files back into the Dropbox folder.

If this doesn't do the trick, please click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and send me a screenshot of what is shown there, making sure any errors are visible.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, I tried this and it seemed to help at first.  I moved all files with a red X out to another folder, until the number of syncing files went down to zero.

Then it recalculated, and it's showing over 1300 files now syncing.  All of the top level folders are showing green, but I have found more files with red X's within some of those folders.  I've been trying to move those files out as I find them, but I just have way too many files and nested folders to search through them all exhaustively.  

Also, some files that were previously green seem to have turned red.  And the number syncing still seems to go up as I move files out.

Any other options to try?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @drmiller!

Out of curiosity, is it a specific file type that is being affected and showing the red X sync icons?

Are they possibly Quickbooks or live databases? These are known for causing syncing issues and need to be handled with care.

If it's multiple files types, can you just try the steps listed here and let me know if this does the trick? This will fix any incorrect permissions that might be preventing the files from syncing.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

A lot of them are .png and .pdf files.  But it doesn't seem to be a single consistent type.

The number of files went from over 1000 to 929 overnight, so it's possibly making some slow progress.  I also noticed that my Dropbox version was updated to 89.4.278 - not sure if that's related.

I tried fixing the hardlinks and it said it was successful.  I haven't seen any difference yet.

Of the remaining files with the red X, many are in shared folders that aren't owned by me.  I tried moving those files out, but it prompted me about removing them from Dropbox entirely, and I didn't want to do that since they're not mine.

I tried deselecting those folders in Selective Sync, but they're still appearing on my hard drive and it looks like Dropbox is still trying to do something with them (when I hover over the icon, it says it's uploading that folder, which I find strange, since I already deselected it).

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your patience while we investigate @drmiller!

If you apply selective sync while the app is already syncing, the app wouldn't be able to apply those changes until it's finished the syncing progress.

You mentioned that you fixed the hardlinks through the steps, did you also try clicking the "Fix Permissions" option too to see if that helps?

If the syncing is progressing then I'd suggest allowing it to finish might be the best method to avoid any further issues. If syncing gets stuck again then we can look into some further steps to try.

Let me know if you've had any progress over the weekend!

Daphne

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I did try the fix permissions step as well.  It also said it was successful.

It does seem to be making some slow progress.  Yesterday it was at 800 files and today it's at 794.  So something does appear to be happening.  I'll leave it for a while and see if it continues.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that the sync is progressing, albeit slowly @drmiller!

If you haven't already, I can suggest checking the bandwidth settings for the desktop app aren't limited to speed this up for you. You can check the steps out here if you're not familiar.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?