cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subfolders of shared folders in Individual (non-Business) accounts

Subfolders of shared folders in Individual (non-Business) accounts

darcyjamesargue
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I’m trying to set up a shared folder with a set of subfolders that all have the same permissions as the parent folder. I want the people who join the shared folder to be able to add files to any of the subfolders.

This doesn’t seem possible with a Plus account — do I have that right? Is it possible with a Pro account, or does it require a Business account?

7 Replies 7

Re: Subfolders of shared folders in Individual (non-Business) accounts

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @darcyjamesargue, and welcome to our Community!

Of course you can achieve that!

The permissions you apply on the top, parent folder will also mirror on the subfolders unless you choose otherwise. 

Here, you can see more regarding changing the permissions if you need to do so.

Do you have any issues achieving that on your end? 

Keep me posted!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

darcyjamesargue
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks. Currently, if I share the top-level folder, the people I share it with (they are all set to “Can Edit”) can only add files to that top-level folder. They can see the subfolders, but cannot add files to them. I have DropBox Plus (individual) account.

I saw these links that seems to suggest that sharing subfolders inside a shared folder is a DropBox Business-only feature:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-inside-folder

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-inside-folder#other-options

I also had someone from DropBox sales suggest that if I upgrade to a Pro account, this would allow me to solve the issue of shared users not being able to add files to subfolders. However, that advice seems to be contradicted by the links above.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @darcyjamesargue, thanks for the info you've provided me! 

You're referring on two different things: 

It sounds like you want to share a folder in a different way than its parent shared folder.

This isn't something that is currently possible with Dropbox. All folders inherit the sharing properties of their parent folders, so if any folder higher in the hierarchy is shared already, the subfolder cannot have its own sharing properties.

To be able to share the subfolders you'll need to unshare the parent folder and then reshare the subfolders. That applies to all subscriptions, however with a Business plan you have more control of the permissions.

However, if you have given someone editing rights on the top folder, they should be able to add content within. Do they get an error when trying to do this?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

darcyjamesargue
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks for you help! I don’t need different permissions within the parent folder, but I do want users who have edit permissions for the parent folder to have the same permissions for all the enclosed subfolders — so that they can, e.g., add files to those subfolders. Right now, users are telling me they aren’t able to do this. They can only add files to the parent (shared) folder, not any of the enclosed subfolders.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @darcyjamesargue, thanks for all the extra info! 

Do they get any errors when trying to add content inside the subfolders?

Can you also double-check the permissions of the folders they report issues with?

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

darcyjamesargue
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

Thanks for all of your help. I’m not sure what the issue was — perhaps there was some issue with the folder I originally shared — but I set up sharing again with a different folder and copied the content over, and that seems to have resolved the problem!

Thanks for confirming that users being able to add content to subfolders of a shared folder is supported — everything now seems to be working as designed.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @darcyjamesargue, sweet!

Happy to see that your issue is now resolved!

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    darcyjamesargue Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?