cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly can't drag and drop anymore

Suddenly can't drag and drop anymore

Orenda
Explorer | Level 3

So I updated to the latest Dropbox app version on my Ipad Pro 2021 (which also is updated to the latest iOS version) and now I suddenly can't drag and drop any files anymore from my Dropbox app into other programs. I changed nothing in my settings and it was working perfectly until the updates hit.

I do not get any messages, I try to drag the file from the Dropbox app to my Procreate canvas and nothing happens (it used to say "importing" and then it imported the file I dragged in).

Is there any fix for this?

16 Replies 16

Orenda
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! How do I do this? And how do I prefend it from happening again? Because I did not change anything in the files....

Edited to add that when I try to rename, the extension just says .jpg and the .icloud isn't there. Also when online in my Dropbox account and on my desktop in my Dropbox folder the files just show as .jpg. So there's nothing to change....

Also, the drag and drop feature works correctly when I'm using the Documents by Readle app to get into my Dropbox account.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Orenda, sorry to be jumping in here, but could you try disabling Dropbox as a location in your Files app and re-enabling it anew?

Let me know if that helps improve matters. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Orenda
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter! Thanks for the suggestion, I found that one somewhere else online, so I tried that but it didn't help 😞

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Sorry to hear this persists @Orenda

May I reach out via email to have a better look internally?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Orenda
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, of course!

Yesterday I fully reset my iPad (I don't store much on it, so I thought I could give it a try). I removed all apps, tried to disconnect the iCloud as much as possible (I don't use it and I'm starting to think that it's a forced connection of sorts that is causing this problem). Then I re-installed the apps Dropbox and Procreate and tried again. The drag and drop still failed, and importing/inserting a file from Dropbox into my Procreate gave me the error message of "file name "filename.jpg.icloud is invalid". So the full reset of my iPad didn't work either.... 😞

I re-installed the Documents by Readdle app and from there, the drag and drop from my Dropbox folder does still work fine! This is a total mystery to me. I just want the Dropbox app to work, and want to be able to import files (either by drag and drop or by "normal" import a file function) because the Readdle app is fine but it takes a long while to load previews of my picture files, whereas the Dropbox app almost immediately loads the previews of the files when I open the folders to see what's inside, which is much better.

I hope I'm giving enough information, but please do email me if needed!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for all the additional information @Orenda - most appreciated!

I've just sent you an email so that we can investigate further.

Please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Orenda
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! I just replied 🙂

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Orenda Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?