cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppress Move File Warning

Suppress Move File Warning

Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone;

New dropbox business user here. We have three workstations in our office, each with full access to all team folders (in blue). When a new document is saved into the system––such as from our office scanner––it intentionally goes to the root folder, i.e. outside of all shared and personal folders.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 5.48.11 PM.png

When I move a file from the root into a folder (specifically the blue ones, but I suspect the purple one will give me the same dialog window), i.e. where the file/folder is supposed to go, it gives me this message:

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 5.54.51 PM.png

I need to know if there's a way to suppress this message. On the Windows-based platform I know there's a checkbox to do this, but on these new iMacs I can't see to find the option, and it's a really annoying pop-up to have to click every single time I add a file or change its location. Our workflow is based on pipelining customer folders, so this pop-up can rear its ugly head at least twenty or thirty times in an hour if we're on average work levels. 

It's one of two critically annoying pop-ups that I can''t find workarounds for, though the other one I'm sure doesn't have a resulotion, as it's part of the architecture of the service.

Thanks in advance!

Remodel Door System Admin

7 Replies 7

Re: Suppress Move File Warning

Dropboxer

Hi @RemodelDoor, thanks for messaging today!

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application to see if this helps by clicking this link, without first uninstalling the app?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay;

I reinstalled Dropbox per your instructions, with no change in the system's behavior. Please let me know if you need any more info/images for this question.

Thanks!

––RemodelDoor

Dropboxer

In that case, could you try resetting the file system warning options and let us know if you're still getting the same results @RemodelDoor?

To do this, navigate to the Account tab in the app's preferences and hold down the 'Option/Alt' key. While still holding those, click on the 'Reset File System Waning options' button and then click on 'Apply' and OK. 

You may also want to reboot your computer before trying to perform the move you wanted. 

On a side note, do you get any similar notifications when you perform the same action(s) on our website? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter ;

I did the "Reset File Warning" thing, but it did not have an "Apply" option once I clicked the first button. It would seem that nothing changed Regardless, in testing the service afterwards the same dialog window would appear.

Afterwards I moved an item after a fresh boot, with no difference. This is not unexpected as we do a fresh boot every morning with no changes to the dialog box's behavior.

When performing a similar move on the website I get no notifications other than "moving" and "moved."

––RemodelDoor

Dropboxer

Could you let us know which version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer at the moment @RemodelDoor?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne;

Computer: iMac Mini (2018 ), running macOS Catalina v10.15.7 (latest update as of this posting).

Dropbox: v108.4.456

Our office infrastructure has three identical workstations running the same Apple ID so as to share all contact book, calendar, and email application data between them. Each is logged into Dropbox using the RemodelDoor account.

Dropboxer

Hey again @RemodelDoor; thanks for sticking with us on this one. 

Since you were able to perform the same action with no problem on the website, I'd suggest doing such moves via a web browser for now. 

The message you're receiving relates to how the Dropbox desktop application handles the specific scenario of admins of Dropbox Business teams moving things out of team folders using their computers.

This message is expected and it's not a malfunction of your Dropbox. The reason being that we'd like to minimize the risk of making mistakes when dragging and dropping or deleting content using your desktop because the content that would be affected could be shared with an entire department, for instance. As a result, we encourage admins of Dropbox Business teams to make those moves via the web, which requires a very deliberate set of actions.

In other words, we disable this from your Dropbox desktop application because it’s easier to take accidental actions on your computer that could have adverse effects for other users who need access to the shared content. By using the website, we ensure the action is deliberate and minimize business continuity risks.

Please note that this message is only shown to Dropbox Business teams admins. Regular team members can't move content out of team folders at all.

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?