cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspended links w/ no solution and extreme frustration

Suspended links w/ no solution and extreme frustration

matthewtakes
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox keeps suspending my links and ability to share. This has happened multiple times w/o warning and seemingly w/o breaking any rules. BUT, I can't find out if I have broken a rule, as no one from DB seems to be able to tell me which link was an infraction or how many I have, etc. The response from DB has been abysmal, slow, and infuriating. From customer support it seems like this rule is in place for when a link gets shared thousands of times (I believe to stop leaked materials, which is good) but I have come no where near that number. I do share links and folders roughly 5-20 times a week. I have upgraded my account (paid more) as the auto prompt says that's how to fix it. Did not fix it, so now I am paying more with the same problem. 

Is there any way at all to monitor or keep in check whatever rule I have broken so that I can continue sharing content that i pay them to host for me? My job is heavily dependent on delivering assets to clients and this constant suspension with zero information is giving me an ulcer. 

Help. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Suspended links w/ no solution and extreme frustration

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @matthewtakes, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

I'm afraid you cannot see which links are causing your ban, however, you can see how many links you have here.

You need to keep in mind not to exceed your daily bandwidth limits and upgrading doesn't increase these limits retroactively.

Also, links generating too much traffic or sharing copyrighted content would cause your links to be banned too.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

matthewtakes
Explorer | Level 3

Howdy, yes. Tons of questions, but I'll limit it to three:

1. I know how many links I have, I have been in contact with all those that have them and therefore have a rough estimate that does NOT exceed the limit. With that knowledge, how can I be sure I'm accurately being suspended?

2. Why did the auto prompt tell me to upgrade to fix the solution? I can send you screen shots if you'd like. I paid more money to fix this based on the prompt, now you're saying it doesn't matter....... maybe have them give me money back and fix the auto prompt.

3. I use loads of copy right content as I work with the owners of the copyright (major record labels, film studios, etc) but this is how I deliver their assets I'm paid to work on. They are not reporting this, and THEY are frustrated with my inability to deliver due to suspensions... so how does this apply?

I feel like such a baby coming here and complaining, but I genuinely don't know what to do, am desperate and cant' find a fix. Sorry for being snippy.. I've just gone through all of this over and over and over again with no answers. I would love to go over with this with someone from dropbox on the phone but can't find out how to make that happen. 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @matthewtakes, which plan are you on currently? How large are the files that you're sharing links to?

Is it possible that the same users view any of the shared links multiple times per day for large files, which do add to the daily bandwidth limit? Older links could also be accessed as well, unless you've previously deleted the file or shared link.

File requests, in which other users upload content to your account, are also included in the bandwidth limit.

In general, each time the links are banned, the the expiry date of the ban increases exponentially, so as this wasn't the first time, it would take longer than 24 hours for the ban to be removed.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    matthewtakes Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?