Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Symlinks not syncing at all, just stuck at "Uploading x files...".

Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I'm using Linux version 89.4.278.

Around the beginning of year 2020, it stopped syncing symlinks (symbolic links) at all, even the linked files are in the Dropbox account folder.

Let me show you a very simple, reproducible example:

## Go to your Dropbox folder in Linux
$ cd ~/Dropbox

## Create any file
$ echo 1234 > text.txt

## Create a symlink, in the same folder
$ ln -s text.txt text-symlink.txt

## Now Dropbox stuck at "Uploading....." FOREVER.
## Sometimes it says Uploading "text-symlink.txt"... $ dropbox Syncing 1 files Uploading 1 files...

## But the problem disappers when I delete the symlink
$ rm text-symlink.txt
$ dropbox
Up to date

I mean, it's not used to be like that. To be clear, I have 3 Linux PCs, and all 3 Dropbox clients have the same problem.

Also it should not be related to the recent policy change "As of mid-2019, Dropbox no longer follows items outside of your Dropbox account that are linked to ...  because the linked file is in the same Dropbox top folder.

Also, the message should clearly state what's going on, just showing "Uploading x ..." is not helpful at all and is very misleading because it doesn't show why the file causes the problem. If Dropbox deciedes not to sync symlinks at all, the dropbox client must say it cannot sync the file because it is a symlink.

What's happend, Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Symlinks not syncing at all, just stuck at "Uploading x files...".

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I appreciate the feedback you’ve posted about the symlinks, and it has been noted in our system!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @kbumsik, thanks for posting on the Community!

The symlink changes can also apply to symlinks inside your Dropbox folder that refer to other files within your own folder.

The desktop app is trying to sync a file that is referring to another file, however, as it is a symlink it can’t see if changes are made to the original file, so it is essentially syncing forever.

We’d recommend removing any symlinks within the Dropbox folder to prevent this issue from occurring again.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

> The desktop app is trying to sync a file that is referring to another file, however, as it is a symlink it can’t see if changes are made to the original file, so it is essentially syncing forever.

Honestly I don't get it. It used to work fine, and now it can't track changes of symlink-linked files?

At least the Dropbox Team should update the documentation of the Help Page to clarify that Dropbox decided to refuse to sync symlinks, even if it is in the same Dropbox folder.

Also, could you send my opinon to the developers? : If Dropbox now can't sync symlinks, the Desktop App should be able to tell users like "x files are unsupported symlinks". Just saying "Uploading x files..." indefinitely is NOT what users expect from the enterprise-grade software.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I appreciate the feedback you’ve posted about the symlinks, and it has been noted in our system!

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?