cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Activity & History / add filters or make selective

Sync Activity & History / add filters or make selective

brianlamb
New member | Level 2

Hello

TL;DR

Q. How can I filter or select directories specifically for "Sync history" or "Activity" (or even "Recent" in the web UI)?

---> I want to be able to select which directories bubble up to the level of needing Sync History or Activity. 

Of course all the regular internal monitoring Dropbox does right now would stay the same. This would just be a filter on what makes its way to the App UI.

NOTE: this is not related to macOS system notifications - I already have those set to Do Not Disturb and that is fine.  This is basically within the UI of Dropbox.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.15.20 PM.png

I get WAAAAY too many notices about incidental file changes from a variety of places where apps or the system is making changes.  These are all in my User folders so I am not talking about System files, but just application files that get updated quite frequently.  For example Photos Library (finally deleted my Photos.Library which I wasn't really using)  or another one that I use is Mackup.

Too Long/Want More Info:

So I recently upgraded to Dropbox Plus after deciding to downgrade my iCloud storage.

I'm all in on Dropbox as cross platform and my primary data storage/sharing solution.

I like a lot of the features and doo-dads that it has and the recent updates to allow syncing across all personal folders in macOS User folders is a welcome change.

Also in the Web UI the "Recents" is mostly useless too.  So many of the notifications that Dropbox offers to me are more annoyance than helpful(given the current usage scenario) --- and I miss the good ones that ARE Helpful like deleting large number of files or simply showing me a list of actual documents/photos/media I've(not some underlying config file or application process) changed recently!

OK, so previously I just used Dropbox for incidental file storage (like drop a batch of photos or files and share with a select group)

I am also using it as the default storage location for "Mackup" which is a Mac software configuration backup/retrieval tool --- they sponsor Dropbox as the default storage solution although you can configure others.

I rarely used the Dropbox desktop app and kind of ignored most of the features of Dropbox but now this issue is getting on my nerves.  I have been alerted at least once thankfully that "You recently deleted 22000 files" but these kinds of notices are going to get lost in this sea of useless notifications.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.14.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.15.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 2.15.05 PM.png

1 Reply 1

Re: Sync Activity & History / add filters or make selective

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @brianlamb, thanks for posting today!

Currently, there isn't a way to filter, restrict or customize the information provided in the Dropbox desktop application.

Any recent changes to files on the account would appear in the history in the app.

If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?