cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync PC folder with Dropbox folder so as to get access to Dropbox folder on iPad

Sync PC folder with Dropbox folder so as to get access to Dropbox folder on iPad

hgdc
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. I have a folder in my PC's hard drive that's full of recipes. I added this folder to Dropbox six days ago and it uploaded all the recipes to my Dropbox folder. So now I have two folders on my PC where the recipes can be found, their original location (D: drive) and their Dropbox folder location (C: drive).  I also have the Dropbox app on my iPad, and after the initial setup I can also see all these files on my iPad.

The issue I'm having is that when I add a new recipe to the original location on the D drive, that new recipe  does not sync to the Dropbox folder on the C drive, nor is the new recipe available on my iPad. What am I doing wrong? I am doing this so I can use my iPad in the kitchen for recipe access without having to print recipes on paper and take them to the kitchen.

The problem may be that Dropbox can’t sync files that are outside of the Dropbox folder, and I always add new recipes to the D drive folder, not to the Dropbox folder on C. If this is the cause, then is there a way using a third-party program (such as GoodSync) to keep the Dropbox folder and the recipe folder in sync?

I have Dropbox version 116.4.368, and Windows version  10.0.19042 Build 19042. Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Re: Sync PC folder with Dropbox folder so as to get access to Dropbox folder on iPad

Rich
Super User II

@hgdc wrote:

The problem may be that Dropbox can’t sync files that are outside of the Dropbox folder, and I always add new recipes to the D drive folder, not to the Dropbox folder on C.

That is exactly it. Dropbox only syncs items you put in the Dropbox folder. It doesn't link to any other folders located elsewhere on your computer.

If this is the cause, then is there a way using a third-party program (such as GoodSync) to keep the Dropbox folder and the recipe folder in sync?

You could do that, but now you're talking about using twice as much storage for your files. The intent is that you MOVE files into the Dropbox folder and use that as your main storage location, so that any changes within it are automatically synced.

Re: Sync PC folder with Dropbox folder so as to get access to Dropbox folder on iPad

hgdc
Explorer | Level 3

OK then. Thanks for clarifying that. I believe I'll make the Dropbox folder the permanent home for my recipe files, since they are certainly not sensitive (except, maybe, for the Coca Cola formula).

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?