cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I would like DropBox to work as fast as Google Drive

Highlighted

Sync Speed Very Slow

Explorer | Level 4

I've seen older threads about this, contacted support, but still have not found any solutions. My sync speed when downloading is between 1,000KB/s and 5,000KB/s, which is absolutely terrible. If I download through the web interface I get speeds of around 40MB/s. I can recall exactly when the problems started, I had a RAID array that I broke down, my Dropbox folder was located on the array. I moved my Dropbox folder to a new drive, and since then I've had these terrible speeds. Nothing works. I use this for work and am constantly downloading large video files, so this is a huge issue. Any advice? Just to note, my upload speeds are fine. 

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Sync Speed Very Slow

Dropboxer

Hi @vitalsine, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

As a first step, could you let me know if you've tried customizing your desktop app's sync speed by following these steps?

Also, since you mention that you moved the Dropbox folder to another drive, could you confirm for me if it's an internal or external drive?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I have tried setting bandwidth manually, no help. I am on an external drive? Who in their right mind would use an external drive for anything but backup? I am a professional using your service, I am not a common imbecile. I have tried everything that I could find on this forum as well as all knowledgebase articles... This is getting ridiculous... 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @vitalsine.

Each file is divided and compressed into hashed components, transferred via secure data transfer, and then encrypted and stored on our servers.

Although Dropbox can only upload/download as fast as your Internet service provider allows, it can take some time to sync completely if you have many or large files.

For this reason, if you can, try another network and let me know if there's a change in behvior.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, just give me a shout. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

I would like DropBox to work as fast as Google Drive

Explorer | Level 4

My new job required me to move to Dropbox Business. As a person moving from Dropbox Business from Google Drive I immediately noticed one significant disadvantage. (At this point in my migration, I am forced to use both until my transfer is complete)

Changing the status of files from 'local' to 'online only' was much faster with Google, almost instant. I see a long delay in changing a file to 'online only' with Dropbox.  Network speed (upload or download speed) shouldn't be a factor in this. I am using both on the same network...and assuming that the file exists online, the command to make the file 'online only' should only be a matter of somehow deleting the date of the file on my computer?? 

In any case, it takes Dropbox a much much longer time than Google Drive to complete what is essentially the same task.

Can anyone comment on this? 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

The Dropbox sync client is the worst one in the industry. Being slow is only one of the issues and you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until your account has accumulated a lot of files and the sync client chokes constantly even if you only have a handful of files synced locally. The communication rate with the server is strongly correlated to the index speed of the server's files for reasons that no one has ever been able to explain.

I wrote scripts for Dropbox, google drive, OneDrive, and box to test the response speed of each system. Simple things like list all files in a folder take 200-300% longer in Dropbox, but even that would be okay if the client would work correctly. The official Dropbox client can choke permanently on sync issues and support is a waste of time. I've had a ticket open for a month and they obviously are not concerned with even responding.

I've also done side by side comparisons with other sync clients and it is a landslide victory for the other company in every case in terms of speed. The Dropbox sync client, especially in Windows, is simply terrible. I wish the only problem was how slow it is.

Don't hold your breath.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

That is very disappointing to hear. Dropbox's customer service isn't obviously equipped to respond to me about this issue. It sounds like it is deep-seated in their programming. Then again, none of the big tech companies are good about customer service. Hopefully, one day, a cloud company will step up and bring in the kind of top rate cloud service customers want. I had some hopes it would be Dropbox because, unlike Google or Microsoft, cloud service is their focus, the one thing they could do well. Maybe they will turn it around in the future.  The lack of movement in their stock price may reflect their lethargy with their product. We can talk about them like this... like they are not here... because I don't think anyone is listening.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

I disagree about Microsoft - their focus has been cloud services for a while and, in my opinion, it shows. Microsoft support has been top notch in my experience. The OneDrive sync client is not perfect by any means, but it doesn't constantly break and I've had Microsoft tech support remotely connect to my computer to help within minutes of opening a ticket. I can't get Dropbox to even admit there is an issue and certainly they would never connect to my computer to help.

Dropbox product segmentation also makes zero sense. Transfer is not available in the iOS app for business accounts even though it is available for Professional accounts. I can't even imagine why someone thought that would be a good idea. I have a more expensive account, yet I can't access one of the features that a lower cost account has. I could go on and on, but what's the point? As you said, no one is listening. I've had none of these issues with OneDrive, which is why I'm switching my org ASAP. The funniest part is that O365 costs way less and offers way more than Dropbox. $25/user/month for storage is crazy. It should be getting cheaper, not more expensive.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

We're here for you in Support! Please let me know your ticket number(s) and I'll have someone prioritize them. We would expect to respond and resolve them very quickly, and to your satisfaction, so I want to find out what's happening with them.

Troubleshooting speed related issues is ofcourse a tricky thing, but you should be in constant communication with one of our support agents around your issue. and we would certainly want to deliver a syncing service that meets your expectations.

Appologies, and lets get this fixed for you!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@bandtank thats interesting what you said about Microsoft. I will explore the options they offer and present them to my boss.

So @Ross_S like I said I'm new to dropbox. What is up with the slow sync issues compared to Google Drive? Droxbox must sync things in a different way. It is much slower in a side by side comparison. Tell your higher ups. People are noticing the speed disadvantage.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?