cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync and the Dropbox Folder on your computer

Highlighted

Sync and the Dropbox Folder on your computer

Explorer | Level 4

I sort if understand the selective sync process for files but I am having trouble understanding an aspect of this and wonder if someone can help. I have the Dropbox app on my computer (PC) and I only want to sync certain folders on my PC to Dropbox. I understand to send the files there and they will sync with my folder each time. But it appears the files/ folders that I send to Dropbox through the app copy themselves in another place on my computer, thus taking up more space on my computer. That I didnt want to use.

All I am wanting is to send the files/ folders from specific locations to Dropbox using the app without it copying them to another location on my drive. Is this possible? I know if I log in to my account online I can drag files and folders to my Dropbox account without it making a second copy on my hard drive somewhere.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Sync and the Dropbox Folder on your computer

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @cineruss, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

Could you just let me know where exactly the files get copied to?

Is this a location outside of the Dropbox folder?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @cineruss,

The manner of Dropbox application work is to keeps in sync everything in Dropbox folder (or almost in some cases) to your account content. Outside Dropbox folder nothing gets currently in sync! The Dropbox folder itself is like a every one other folder on your machine, but in addition got observe for changes from Dropbox side. That's it.

@cineruss wrote:

... I understand to send the files there and they will sync with my folder each time. But it appears the files/ folders that I send to Dropbox through the app copy themselves in another place on my computer, thus taking up more space on my computer.

When you "send to Dropbox" files or folders, actually you copy particular content there - from one regular folder to another one, as I noted above. Every copy operation doubles the engaged space, Yes. You can use move instead, if applicable for your case.

@cineruss wrote:

... That I didnt want to use.

All I am wanting is to send the files/ folders from specific locations to Dropbox using the app without it copying them to another location on my drive. Is this possible? ...

It's NOT possible, unfortunately. That's against the manner of work for Dropbox application.

Your question here becomes part (as an example) of a long time spread discussion for different changes needed in the application. You can vote up my idea here for a possible solution, if you want.

Have a nice day!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, yes I have a very large folder I want synced to Dropbox but I want the folder left in its location on my main drive. If I tried to do this via Dropbox via the web, it would take forever to upload. I have the Dropbox app but when I try to upload via the app, it moves the folder to the Dropbox folder on my computer. I can always copy the folder to the Dropbox folder on my computer but I have limited drive space and do not want to dupliate this large folder into a Dropbox folder. The Dropbox folder is located in my personal folder on my computer.  All I want to do is to sync this folder to my Dropbox account without making a duplicate folder that is on my computer.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?