Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sync and upload problem since symlink changes

Explorer | Level 3

Since the recent changes in December that impacted symlinks we have had an issue where local changes are unable to push up to the cloud. This appears to be anywhere in the local dropbox file structure. The hosts are debian, dropbox version 87.4.138. On some sites we have resolved the problem by completely disassociating that device from dropbox, removing all the files locally and readding to the account, which of course causes a complete download again. We have been trying to avoid that for one particular site as it involves around 1TB of data and only has a relatively slow internet connection. We now have around 400 files that "cant sync". I can see them locally but they don't appear on the cloud. We have tried to stop dropbox, remove the cache and restart dropbox, but no success. Any ideas to avoid a complete download?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Sync and upload problem since symlink changes

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @nippy - welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the syncing issue you've outlined; let's have a look into it now. 

At first, just to make sure we're on the same page, could you send me the desktop app's exact status and a screenshot of how these files look like on your device? 

I know you mentioned that some files can't sync but as this error is pretty vague a screenshot of the error you see would be very helpful.

While we're at it, could you move those files outside of your Dropbox folder and move them back in? Do they sync normally now by any chance?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

Moving files in and out didn't help. Managed from the command line so not much in the way of images to send to you. We used status and filestatus to observe what was happening. I ended up downloading to a new machine and delivering to that site. We had issues with the older one having multiple disks and with symlink not functioing to span it was going to be a mess to reconfigure.

I believe the sync issue may have been due to another site had previously symlinked one of the root dropbox folders. Even after removing the link and changing the name back in dropbox we could only get this site to download but never upload. It's like it was poisoned in some way. I don't know if this happened at the other three sites as we removed them and readded to the account triggering a full download.

At the end of it, we are sad that dropbox now has non functioning symlink rather than just not supported which had worked fine for us for years.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the response @nippy.

I'm sorry to hear your setup doesn't work anymore due to the way we handle symlinks.

As you probably know by now, you can have symlinks that link to items both in and outside of your Dropbox account; however, these two types of symlinks sync differently.

• If you create a symlink that links to an item in your Dropbox account, we’ll sync the the symlink file at its location and the item that it links to at its location respectively
  • If you create a symlink that links to an item outside of your Dropbox account, when you sign in to dropbox.com you’ll only see the symlink file but not the content it links to. 

If you manage to surpass the mentioned issue at some point, please give our new stable version a go and let me know the results. 

Thanks for keeping me in the loop once again and sorry I didn't have a better asnwer. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?