Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sync'ed Online only Folders have files still showing up as on local computer hard drive

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've just been trying to clear hard disk stoareg space on my Mac, and realised that the majority of files taking up space were from dropbox. After doing a few google searches, I found the method to click on the dropbox icon on my mac and choose which folders showed up online only by deselecting the rest that I didn't want stored on my Mac.

I've deselected most of the foldes, however individual files from them are still showing up on my Mac when I do an "all files" search for the ones taking up the most space.

Should I have gone through every single dropbox file individually and selected "online only" prior to making the folder that the file is in online only through the sync option? If so, is there a fast way to select all the files and make them online only? I can't even work out how to do this from the finder on my Mac when I have the dropbox folder on it opened. And I can't see where to do it by signing into dropbox.com for each individual file

1 Reply 1

Re: Sync'ed Online only Folders have files still showing up as on local computer hard drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @SallyH, thanks for checking in with us. 

I'd be more than happy to help with this, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Are you using Smart Sync or selective sync to save space on your hard drive?
  • What do you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?