cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync glitch overwrote local file?

Highlighted

Sync glitch overwrote local file?

Explorer | Level 3

I've been working on a complex and really important post-grad assignment on word for Mac.  Have just lost a critical day's work.  So livid right now!

- New mac, heaps of storage

- Saving to local dropbox folder regularly

- Good internet all day

- Only working on one computer

- Basically finished at 1am Saturday.  So relieved to be done, very long story. 

Tonight I opened doc to proof read.  Also opened a different file from same dropbox account to copy a reference.  The main file closed, which I thought odd but no problem as saved locally and to dropbox.  But when I reopened the file it had reverted to over 24hrs previously.  Dropbox version history shows multiple versions right up until midday yesterday, which matches where I think the document would have been at at that time.  

So I'm guessing there had been a sync issue, and when sync came back on my new file got overwritten with the old one.  However my account shows no sync issues. 

Have spent hours looking through local temp files, searching office 365 and mac help, as well as dropbox forums.  No helpful answers.  And dropbox chatbot is frankly useless.

What I really want is to see is if a dropbox support person can view their version of my files to see if there is a recent copy of the file.  Otherwise am open to any help that anyone on this forum can offer.  Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Josh. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Sync glitch overwrote local file?

Dropboxer

Hi @Joshcpower; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear about this.

At first, did you make sure the desktop app was running and stating 'Up to date' after your edits on the file at hand? 

Also, can you check its version history on our website and see if you can restore a previous version?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there, Josh. 

PS: Since you were working on this file locally on your computer, you may be able to find and/or restore it from your cache folder as well. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?