cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync issue Windows vs Mac

Highlighted

Sync issue Windows vs Mac

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, does anybody experience sync problem in between Windows and Mac sometimes, if Mac user use characters which are not supported by Windows? Like should there be Dropbox file shared between Mac and PC and Mac owner creates there file using characters which are not supported by Windows in file name ( characters are \/:*<>| ) then Windows owner cannot see the file or folder (or files in such named folder). Actually Windows user even doesn't know about that he cannot see that. He is not even synchronizing those files. And Mac user does not know about it as well as Dropbox is not showing any issues with it.

I contacted Dropbox support about this and they replied to me that there is no automatic support for Windows user how to see if there are any files/folders not synced correctly. So I wanted to check out if there is more users which are facing same problem so maybe Dropbox can work on some upgrade to deal with this.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Sync issue Windows vs Mac

Super User II

@JakubNut wrote:

So I wanted to check out if there is more users which are facing same problem so maybe Dropbox can work on some upgrade to deal with this.

Anyone that syncs between a Mac and Windows will have this issue. This likely will not change. The solution is to ensure that Mac users do not use any character that would be considered incompatible with a Windows system.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, but wouldn't be more effective if Dropbox has a feature which automatically shows Windows users if Mac user used one of the "forbidden characters" and file/folder did not synced into his/her PC? That would safe time with communication and manual check of where mistake can be.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @JakubNut, thanks for checking in with us. 

I just wanted to jump in and mention that, although there isn't currently such a direct notification for users, you can post this as a feature that you'd like to see implemented in the future, here, where others who share the same interest can comment and upvote. 

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for this suggestion.

Jakub

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?