cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync issues

Sync issues

New member | Level 2

I mistakenly set my dropbox to backup my entire laptop to DB which I've been trying to stop ever since but it keeps showing nearly a million files to upload/sync.

Now all my files that were local on my hard drive are now on DB when i check where the file is located.

Any info on how i can stop these files sync'ing and get them back on the laptop only?

I have changed the settings in Preferences but it's not made any changes to the file locations and the number of files that are sync'ing.

Thanks in advance... 

4 Replies 4

Re: Sync issues

Super User II

@simonpurnell wrote:

I have changed the settings in Preferences but it's not made any changes to the file locations and the number of files that are sync'ing.

What settings did you change? It seems you've enabled the computer backup feature. That's what you'll probably need to disable.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Yes i think i changed the settings to Online Backup but have now changed it all back to not back up at all and store all files Local. DB is still sync'ing so should i assume its putting all the files back into Local?

When you bring up the Info for a file (cmd i) it was still saying the location was in the back up in DB so trying to get all files back onto the HD as it was before the Back Up to DB started...

Super User II

@simonpurnell wrote:

DB is still sync'ing so should i assume its putting all the files back into Local?

I'd let it finish syncing and then see where things stand. You don't want to make additional changes while it's still dealing with the changes made already.

New member | Level 2

ok, thanks. Appreciate the advice. There's around 950,000 files to sync over 2+ days which i think is too many files for a Personal account so assume that won't finish but I can't seem to change that even though my settings have been changed to Local.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?