cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync or Backup from D: drive?

Sync or Backup from D: drive?

mlpeterson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm new to Dropbox. I own three computers--a Home PC, Office PC, and laptop. I got Dropbox to achieve two main goals--1) to have backup security against data loss and (2) be able to access and work with data from any of my computers in an an efficient, organized way from any workstation.

I would appreciate help on 2 questions:

First, on my Home PC, I use solid state C: drive for operating system & programs and 😧 drive for data. I think my PC puts Desktop, Documents, and Downloads on C: although I don't create much data outside 😧 drive. My question is whether Dropbox can Sync or Backup from Desktop, Documents, and Downloads on C: AND my data on D:? I don't want to go down this road and find a dead end.

Second,  assuming that my question above does not lead to a dead end, then how might I best achieve my two goals? Is Sync or Backup better for this? Should I turn on sync on all three computers? Will that result in the My Dropbox Home Page listing the three computer names/identifiers--so that I can click on one name to get into the attached files? In advance, Sync would seem more straightforward and intuitive, but I worry that a mistaken deletion on DB or PC will just sync by deleting in the other location. I guess I'm wanting my files to live in two places--local and cloud--in a way that helps keep data safe and allows access from multiple locations.

I'm assuming that someone(s) out there "gets" what I'm saying here in an amateur way and can give me experienced, knowledgeable  answers and guidance.

Thanks in advance...

mlpeterson

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @mlpeterson, thanks for posting on the Community!

The Dropbox folder can only reside on one drive at a time, so it might not be able to do what you're requesting of it. Have you tried moving the Dropbox folder?

The computer backup feature is essentially syncing those system folders, by moving them into the Dropbox folder. It isn't a backup as such, since deleting files would also delete them from the site, and vice versa.

Creating the backup on each PC would create different backup folders on the site, with the PC name next to them, so you would be able to access, edit and delete files that way.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @mlpeterson, thanks for posting on the Community!

The Dropbox folder can only reside on one drive at a time, so it might not be able to do what you're requesting of it. Have you tried moving the Dropbox folder?

The computer backup feature is essentially syncing those system folders, by moving them into the Dropbox folder. It isn't a backup as such, since deleting files would also delete them from the site, and vice versa.

Creating the backup on each PC would create different backup folders on the site, with the PC name next to them, so you would be able to access, edit and delete files that way.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mlpeterson
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Jay, 

Thanks so much for the answer to my Dropbox questions. From what you said, I'll be able to figure out a solution tailored to my needs.

mlpeterson

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to have helped out, @mlpeterson. Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

phantom_tim
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @mlpeterson,

I believe I'm trying to do the same thing you described in your original post: backup folders that are primarily on my D drive, and a few on my C drive. I only see options in the Dropbox Desktop App to backup a handful of common folders on my C drive (e.g., Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.). Did you figure out how to add other folders to your backup that aren't available in the checklist? Were you able to add folders from your D drive as well?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm hopeful that Dropbox will do what I need, but if not, I'd rather know now, before I spend money on it.

All the best,

Tim

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @phantom_tim; I hope you don’t mind me jump in.

At the moment, it’s only possible to use computer backup for the specific folders you mentioned (Desktop, Downloads and Documents). 

However, if you have an external hard drive, you can also back it up to Dropbox. For more details on both, you can check this link.

I hope this helps a bit.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

phantom_tim
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

That's super helpful to know. Thanks for confirming. As I don't want to move things around unnecessarily, and all of my important data is on my (internal) D drive, I've opted to subscribe to Carbonite, which handles my use case nicely.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Take care.

HANI9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I find that to be very helpful. I appreciate your confirmation. Due to the fact that my important data resides on my (internal) D drive, and I don't want to move things unnecessarily, I have decided to subscribe to Carbonite.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. Please take care of yourself.

meer85
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I appreciate you responding to my Dropbox queries. I'll be able to come up with a solution that suits my needs based on what you mentioned.

Need more support?