cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync problem using proxy (socks 5) on macOS

Highlighted

Sync problem using proxy (socks 5) on macOS

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to greet you!

I'm trying to use tethering through my iPhone with a proxy, but not works with dropbox. I alredy configured it on dropbox/gear icon/Preferences.../Network/Proxies: Change Settings.../Proxy Settings: Manual/Proxy Type: Socks5/Server: 1XX.XXX.XXX.XXX:3128

3128 is the port.

Why Socks5, why this server and why this port? because Spotify was'nt work until I configured with this settings and now works perfectly.

Git wasn't working too and I was configured it with socks5, this IP and port and now works perfectly, but does'nt works with dropbox. Why dropbox? why?

I use OneDrive too for my work and works perfectly without using anything and not need to configure proxy and with the Spotify case was not working at the begining, but with the proxy configurations works.

Please help me to be able to use dropbox again without this problem.

Thank you very much and blessings.

Sorry my english isn't good!

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Celggar - sorry to hear you're having issues with your proxy settings. 

Dropbox uses the proxy settings from your operating system's Internet configuration settings by default. You can change these settings as follows:

A. Using System Settings

1. Choose the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences and click Network.
  2. Choose the network service you use from the list on the left hand side of the window. If you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet, for example, choose Ethernet from the list.
  3. Click on the Advanced button.
  4. Select the Proxies tab.
  5. Manually enter your proxy information by selecting Web Proxy and Secure Web Proxy protocols from the list

B. Using Dropbox Preferences

Alternatively, you can set Proxy settings for Dropbox only by manually entering proxy settings in the Dropbox preferences panel:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar.
  2. Click on the gear icon and select Preferences... from the menu.
  3. Click on the Network tab.
  4. Fill in your proxy settings under the section appropriately labeled Proxy Settings.

Finally, note that Dropbox uses standard internet ports (80 and 443) to transfer data. However, many firewalls and security software (such as antivirus programs) will proactively block unauthorized or unknown internet services. Add Dropbox to your proxy or firewall settings as an exception to connect to the Dropbox service.

Let me know how this goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi @Walter! Thanks so much for your response, I alredy look at the exactly same answer in another post (this post) and not work for me.

Solution B is exactly what I tried to explain and is the one that I am currently using, but unfortunately it does not work.

I also tried disabling the firewall while using the 2 options described and they don't work.

I really appreciate your response and the time you have taken.

ever says "connecting..."ever says "connecting..."FirewallFirewallProxy SettingProxy Setting

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Since you've configured your proxy settings natively on your Mac (I'm not sure if you've tried the first approach yet), could you try the "Auto-detect" option and let me know how it goes?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Yes I had used both options, I did it again to send the screen shots and it doesn't work.

All the time that I make the changes I do the following:

1. I apply them, I hope that dropbox tries to connect,
  2. I close the dropbox application
  3. I start the application again
  4. And finally restart the computer to be sure that the changes are applied. In all cases I wait a while to see that the "connecting ..." status still showing.

I want to mention that dropbox works perfectly when I connect to any WiFi, but unfortunately I can not do that at this moment and that is why I have to use the proxy. Luckily it's the only application that does not work for me so I'm making the changes and uploading them through Chrome.

I appreciate the time you have taken to answer me @Walter!, I know there are many other things you could be doing

Web Proxy and Secure Web ProxyWeb Proxy and Secure Web ProxyAuto-detect optionAuto-detect option

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?