cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync settings: "Files added on web default" set to "Local" but uploadsby file request online only

Sync settings: "Files added on web default" set to "Local" but uploadsby file request online only

RickCurran
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I have my Sync settings for "Save hard drive space automatically" set to "Off", and the "Files added on web default" set to "Local", when I get files added to my dropbox via File Request these end up as Online-only and don't sync down to my computer.

Am I misunderstanding something with the settings? I don't want to use Smart sync on my files so I have that off, but does that then mean that new files added will be online only? I would have thought that having the setting for "Files added on web default" set to "Local" would make these Local, or does that setting only kick in when "Save hard drive space automatically" set to "On"? 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Sync settings: "Files added on web default" set to "Local" but uploadsby file request online ...

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @RickCurran, I hope you're having a good start to the week!

Have you possibly set this folder as "online only" previously through the right click menu? 

While you can change the default settings through the app preferences, you can set a specific folder to online only or local so the app keeps this setting as your preference for the folder.

In this case, can you right click this File request folder and specify "Smart Sync - Local", and see if new files sync as Local then?

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Sync settings: "Files added on web default" set to "Local" but uploadsby fil

RickCurran
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think I'd set the file request folder's settings to "Online only" before, however, I've tried your suggestion and re-set the folder's main settings to be Local.

I actually have some sub-folders which I do want online-only so I've then re-set these as Online Only as setting the parent folder caused them to switch to Local as well.

I did a test with one file and it seemed to work fine and showed as a Local file. I use Dropbox to allow people to submit video files at the end of every week so I'll wait until the end of this week to check that it's definitely working.

Thanks! 

Re: Sync settings: "Files added on web default" set to "Local" but uploadsby fil

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update @RickCurran!

You can set a different setting for each folder or subfolder, so setting the subfolders to online only should keep them as such, and the parent folder local.

I'll be around, so feel free to give me a nudge when you've had the chance to really test this out this week.

Until then, wishing you a great week ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?