cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync started by mistake -- how do I undo this?

Sync started by mistake -- how do I undo this?

rabbit519
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I inadvertently set up my new computer with Dropbox to sync with my entire Documents folder, which has over 300GB on it. Needless to say, I ran out of space on Dropbox rather quickly. I also use OneDrive, which keeps my files in the Cloud while still appearing on my computer.

I am assuming there is no "UNDO" button to reverse what I did. If this is correct, read on:

I paused my sync so no new files are being synced, but how do I undo my mistake so that:

1. I can remove the files that are not supposed to be on Dropbox without deleting them from my computer or from OneDrive?
  2. I can identify the files that were moved recently by looking at the RECENT files. Is there a more efficient day to resolve my problem? And if I Delete those one-by-one, will it also delete them from my computer and OneDrive? I only want to delete them from Dropbox.

Thanks for any light you can shed.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For any files still on your Dropbox account (from the message 'Some content is still in Dropbox'), if the default folders have been restored, as in, they're no longer pointing to the Dropbox folder when you open Desktop, Documents or Downloads, then move any other files out of the Dropbox folder.

The deletions would be the files and folders being moved out of the Dropbox folder, deleting those files from the site, but keeping them on your computer.

This is the same for the Amazon Downloader logs, the prompt is saying that moving them out of the Dropbox folder will delete them from the site, and so from other devices as well.

Keep the syncing enabled to ensure that all the changes are made and that the app continues to function as normal for the future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @rabbit519, thanks for joining the Community!

Could you try disabling the computer backup feature using these steps?

You would need to re-enable syncing first in order to begin these changes.

Afterwards, you'll get the option to move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rabbit519
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

This seemed to work--for a while! It said it deleted 240 files from one of my computers (the new one I had synced from) and changed 3,660 files from my other (older) computer. I got the following messages in the window saying, "Back up your PC automatically," where I had unchecked the three boxes that had been checked:

• DESKTOP: Some content is still in Dropbox
  • DOCUMENTS: Some content is still in Dropbox
  • DOWNLOADS: Backup stopped

What do these three messages mean, and what else do I need to do to delete the files from Dropbox while keeping them on my new computer (or the old one if that is where they came from), and confirm that there will be no more automatic Backups made to Dropbox?

I also got a pop-up message that popped up on my screen that says: "'Remove Amazon Downloader Logs' and 4 other items from your Dropbox account and all devices? If you move these items to Documents, they won't be available in Dropbox or any devices." Jay, I am not sure what the Amazon Downloader Logs are and whether I need them, and I certainly don't know what the 4 other items are. Whatever they are, I'd like them out of Dropbox and back on my original computer, but the choices to click on are CANCEL or MOVE OUT OF DROPBOX. What should I do?

My "notification message" for the files deleted from Dropbox shows about 6,600 files deleted from Dropbox.

Please answer my questions and let me know how to proceed. Also, at the end of the process, do I leave the Syncing on or should I pause it?

Thanks very much,

Rabbit519

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
For any files still on your Dropbox account (from the message 'Some content is still in Dropbox'), if the default folders have been restored, as in, they're no longer pointing to the Dropbox folder when you open Desktop, Documents or Downloads, then move any other files out of the Dropbox folder.

The deletions would be the files and folders being moved out of the Dropbox folder, deleting those files from the site, but keeping them on your computer.

This is the same for the Amazon Downloader logs, the prompt is saying that moving them out of the Dropbox folder will delete them from the site, and so from other devices as well.

Keep the syncing enabled to ensure that all the changes are made and that the app continues to function as normal for the future.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rabbit519
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks so much, Jay, for your clear comments to resolve the problem. Crisis avoided!

rabbit519
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Jay,

It turns out that the problem was not completely resolved after all. I have found a Dropbox folder in several other places on my PC; the files that were synced from my PC in Dropbox itself in the cloud have been removed, as they should have been. In each place on my PC, the Dropbox folder contains the original files that are also in Dropbox (in the cloud); they also contain a few of the files from my PC that had been copied to Dropbox before the sync was stopped; these files also appear in their proper folders on the PC. 

Given the above, is it ok to delete these files that are on my PC, given that they also are already in their proper folders on my PC?

One of the places the Dropbox folder appears on my PC, which to me is strange, is in ThisPC\Windows (C:)\Users\[MyName]\Dropbox. Do you have any explanation of they could have gotten there, and is it safe to remove it? I tried to change the folder's name to see if it  caused any problems, but it says "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program." I have no idea what this is because there is nothing else open other than a few Chrome tabs (unless Dropbox is making it think something is open)!

Besides the office Dropbox Directory, other Dropbox locations (please let me know if these Subdirectories and Shortcuts are safe to delete):

• Shortcut to Dropbox found in: ThisPC\Windows (C:)\Users\[MyName]\OneDrive\Desktop 
    This points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home.
    The "Comment" is: Dropbox - Sync your files online and across computers
  • Shortcut to Dropbox in: This PC\Windows (C:)\Users\[MyName]\Dropbox\PC\Documents\Shortcut
  • Shortcut to "My files in Dropbox" in ThisPC\Windows (C:)\Users\[MyName]\Desktop\Shortcut to my files
  • Shortcut to Dropbox in ThisPC\Windows (C:)\Users\[MyName]\Desktop\Programs\Shortcut

Thanks for any light you can shed on this mystery that won't go away....

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just to check, have you uninstalled the Dropbox desktop application, or is it still installed on your computer?

That location is the default location for the Dropbox folder itself, since it should be in the current user on your machine, unless you moved it elsewhere.

The shortcuts are just that, shortcuts, so they won't affect how the app works.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

rabbit519
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your last bit of help. Dropbox was showing as a separate Directory, but not on my computer. I found remnants of files that were from my PC on the Dropbox, which I removed (after checking that the originals were still in place). I also removed all shortcuts from everywhere. All that remains on Dropbox, I believe, are the files that were there from the beginning, before this transfer to the new computer started. All files that are supposed to be on the computer appear to be there.

I believe that I am no longer syncing between Dropbox and my PC as a result of the settings you had me change from your first message above.

So unless you hear from me again, I am done and all is as good as new. Thanks again for everything!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, @rabbit519, feel free to message again with any queries, and enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    rabbit519 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?