Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync stuck at "Connecting" in Win + MacOS on Home Connection -- routing problem?

JMcGraw
Explorer | Level 3

I have been unable to sync OR to even so much as go to Dropbox.com or any Dropbox website since Monday March 23 using my Hughesnet internet, which is working 'fine' (as fine as satellite intenet can be) with other websites and internet services.

If I unplug my ethernet cable and use my ATT Mobile phone as a hot spot, I AM able to sync my files and access Dropbox.com, including to post this question. I have already disabled proxies, flushed my DNS, and done everything I could with the firewall and antivirus software. Please HELP as I have spent HOURS on this and it is total time suckage.

Dropbox can't sync using Hughenset but WILL Sync using ATT Mobile Hotspot since 3/23/20

JMcGraw
Explorer | Level 3

I have been unable to sync OR to even so much as go to Dropbox.com or any Dropbox website since Monday March 23, 2020 using my Hughesnet internet, which is working 'fine' (as fine as satellite intenet can be) with other websites and internet services.

If I unplug my ethernet cable and use my ATT Mobile phone as a hot spot, I AM able to sync my files and access Dropbox.com, including to post this question. I have already disabled proxies, flushed my DNS, and done everything I could with the firewall and antivirus software. Please HELP as I have spent HOURS on this and it is total time suckage.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox can't sync using Hughenset but WILL Sync using ATT Mobile Hotspot since 3/23/20

Super User II
Super User II

Sounds like it's being blocked by your ISP, or perhaps your own router. I'd suggest contacting HughesNet to see if they're blocking or throttling service to Dropbox.

Re: Sync stuck at "Connecting" in Win + MacOS on Home Connection -- routing problem?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey, @JMcGraw, welcome to our community.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing a connection issue.

From what you’ve described, and the troubleshooting you’ve done, this seems to be a local network issue, and will likely have to do with your modem/router, or ISP (internet service provider). 

If you’re trying to connect from a “work” environment, I would reach out to the IT department. 

If you’re on your own/home connection, I suggest getting in touch with your ISP. We see this quite often in situations like yours. 

Let me know how it works out!

Thanks

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox can't sync using Hughenset but WILL Sync using ATT Mobile Hotspot since 3/23/20

JMcGraw
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the response. I have already spoke with Hughesnet yesterday and the 'level 1' tech support people say they don't know anything but tha the escalated the ticket to advance tech support. I am not optimistic that will resolve anything and so would appreciate any other ideas people have. Sorry not to have mentioned that I pursued that avenue originally.

JMcGraw
Explorer | Level 3

THanks for responding to my post on this issue. I called Hughesnet at the outset and the level 1 person had not informatino abotu throttling or issues with Dropbox. They said they escalated the issue to Advanced Technical Support and I will hear back in 3 days, though  I highly doubt this will happen based on prior experience.

Can you provide any more insights I can share with Hughesnet about what has been the issue with ohter users when the ISPs are the cause of Dropbox not syncing in the past?  Thank you for oany help you can provide.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi again, @JMcGraw

First off, I’ve moved your other post here, so we can keep it all in one place. 

Now, I see that you’re in contact with a support agent already, and have an open ticket in our system. I’ve added our notes and troubleshooting steps to your ticket, so that my colleague is aware, and can continue working with you there. 

As for the reasons behind such issues, I can’t say what they are. Unfortunately, users that I’ve helped in the past haven’t come back to me with any further details after getting in touch with their ISP. 

I would appreciate it if you let me know how it goes, and what your ISP’s support team comes up with. I would also suggest letting the agent that’s working with you on your support ticket know too. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?