cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync stuck on one file

Highlighted

Sync stuck on one file

anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

i have a KeePass file in my Dropbox. This file gets updated automaticaly from the KeePass Client.
Everytime KeePass writes the file the sync stucks (uploading file for days for a 800KB file). Restarting Client, Rebooting Windows, Even Changing the Computer does not work. This file gets not synced if it is changed.

Even tried on a third Computer without KeePass. If i put the file in the folder, sync works. If i change the File even with Windows Notepad the sync hangs.

Recovering the sync is "simple": Remove the file from Dropbox, restart Dropbox, put the file back. Sync works.

If i rename the file to another extension, for example dummy.kdbx to dummy.1234 the file gets synced even if it is changed.

Already tried "fix Hardlinks" and "fix permissions" both does not work.

Any advice what i can try?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Sync stuck on one file

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @anonymous, thanks for messaging the Community!

Is it possible that the file, upon being saved, is immediately opened and 'locked' by Keepass, preventing the syncing from occurring?

Have you contacted Keepass regarding this matter for their input?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jay,

no, the file is not locked. As already written this happens also an another computer where KeePass not even exists and i use Notepad to edit the file (yes, the file is corrupt afterwards because it is a binary file) and close Notepad.

This is not a Problem with the PC (i tested on three PCs, on two of them Dropbox was not installed before testing) or with the Program used (Program closed). This is a Problem with the Dropbox Client or Dropbox Servers. Can i download an older Version of the Dropbox Client somewhere? Because this started just recently. And Keepass was not updated in this timeframe.

I've tried to rename the file and then it works. The Client only does not like this exactly one file with exactly this file extension. If i change the Name or Extension the file syncs again. Have not tried to use another folder.

Best Regards

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

We've not received any other reports with similar issues. Perhaps there is a change in the way Keepass is saving the file itself, so even editing the file with another program can affect it in some way. 

Currently, it isn't possible to download an older version of the Dropbox desktop application, since it would automatically update to the latest version. 

I'd recommend contacting Keepass directly for further support on this matter, since this is related to their filetype.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jay,

your post makes me angry. Let me clarify why:

1. You say you have no reports of this behavior. I've found one other post in 5 Minutes where someone suddenly has the same problem with a .musx file. You told him the exact same as me. He has the Problem since last weekend. Know what: Dropbox got updated. Just search for musx in this Forum and you will find the thread immediately.

2. You say that Keepass might have changed something and that i should contact their support: Please show me how you change your Fileformat without!!! updating the software. This would be the holy grail in programming. Why does Dropbox updates their software if you can change it without? I've already statet the KeePass has not had an Update in the timeframe. Dropbox has had two Updates (105.4.651 and 105.4.649). So, yeah: it is clearly Keepass fault.

3. If Dropbox would be so picky in uploading binary files than you should call it Textbox and only let Users Upload Raw Text Files.

4. Why does Dropbox shows the Sync-Icon for Days? If a file can not be uploaded, whichever Reason, i expect an Errormessage. This is a Bug.

5. When Dropbox is able to upload binary Files then it should be able to update ALL binary Files. Not only some. So this es also a Bug.

6. As i've already written, and it seems you ignore this, if i rename the file it gets instantly uploaded. So it can not be any Problem with the content of the File.

7. Dropbox does not offer old Downloads of Dropbox. Ok. But you can Google old Versions. I've tried Version 103.4.383. And it works. With the exact same file on the exact same Computer with the exact same Keepass Version. Then Updated the Client to the last Version 105.4.651 and it does no longer work. This is a Bug in Dropbox!

I accept that this seems to be some rare condition where this happens. Maybe something is wrong in my account. But I don't have any chance to correct it by myself.
I am not angry because of this bug. Bugs happens. This is not a Problem for me.
I am angry because Dropbox is not even interested in getting to know what is wrong and get it fixed. Instead they are Pointing at other Software Vendors. This is so arrogant.

To say it clear: This is my last Post here. I will close my account and live my life without Dropbox. Exactly as the other Thread Opener does.

It was fine for a long time. But know Dropbox is not interestet in finding / fixing bugs. Live goes on with another Provider based on ownCloud.

Bye.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?