cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sync to an external hard drive / How to use my 1TB account when my laptop drive is only 250gb

Re: Sync to an external hard drive / How to use my 1TB account when my laptop drive is only 250gb

Niklas G.1
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. My HD on my old computer crashed but i had an backup on an external HD that I can not use (no my new computer do NOT have 1 TD free so I can not put the data on the computer)

Do I have to change to another provider than Dropbox (that I have used for many years)?

Scottford
Explorer | Level 3

It just doesn't make sense that DropBox can hear all these complaints and not just change to what we want. We want external storage. We want external storage. We want external storage. Why do we have to give up our space if we're using theirs? Since we are buying their space, what skin off their nose if they don't use our space?

akabez
Explorer | Level 4

That is exactly my problem and that is why i find Dropbox to be a useless product.
I joined the pro account because of a project I am working on with someone else.

We tought it would make our life easy, instead it just made it MUCH MUCH harder.
Verdict? Useless!

Betreff: Sync to an external hard drive / How to use my 1TB account when my laptop drive is only 250

Modis C.
New member | Level 2

Has anyone a solid and professional solution to the problem discussed in this community reagrding sync with an external hard disc?

I am a professional artist and the sync problems make me crazy. I have the feeling that dropbox didn´t catch up to next step needed to fullfill the requirements of professional digital people today who do not work in an office but are constantly on travel.

Has dropbox solved this sync problem or do I need to buy an old fashioned Computer and take this machine with me on my back ...lol...because dropbox isn´t able to solve this problem of thousands of their users?

I love dropbox and their great system but this needs to be solved. I wil be gone as a customer and many around me as well. Professionals do not use dropbox solely for uploading family and vacation movies ;-)) or as a back-up.

Greets

Chris

Grasstrees
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm new to Dropbox.

I have a Mac with a 500GB hardrive and keep my photos on a 2TB external Seagate harddrive. I can't fit all my photos on my Mac. Being concerned about drive failure I opened a Dropbox account with a view to it being a secure cloud backup.

However, it seems that the the way things work I now have a Dropbox folder on my Mac which is filling up as I upload my photod to Dropbox. This defeats the purpose I originally set out to solve ie freeing up space on my Mac.

Am I able to move the Dropbox folder to my external drive which would free up my Mac's space or have I chosen the wrong product, ie Dropbox to do what I want to do?

Thanks.

TimBerlin
New member | Level 2

I am really bummed to find out that Dropbox does not offer syncing of external hard drives.  Google offers this now with their Backup and Sync app...but I don't like Google's interface at all; I much prefer Dropbox.

I also will have to cancel my yearly contract when it comes up due and switch over to Google, just so I can be sure that my external drive is synced to the cloud.

corbeyluv
Helpful | Level 5

I want to chime in agreement on this issue, truly sad that is thread started two years ago. I'm with TimBerlin above, if solution not offered soon I will have to switch, and I don't like Google either but DB needs to get with the program on professional users, otherwise they run the risk of professional flight (this is exactly what is happening between me and Apple right now, same reasons). 

Terrierist1967
New member | Level 2

Please may I add my support to this thread. I too would love to be able to sync files to an external disk. As others mention, I too have a Laptop with small(ish) SSD and would relish the ability to sync dropbox to external HDD.

bmaples
New member | Level 2

So, decided to set up a profile just so I could comment on this.

It seems fairly obvious that Dropbox should make a way to determine which Dropbox folders sync to which local folders, and to set some folders to "removable storage device" in the settings.

Dropbox is already doing this to some extent with Selective Sync.

Would it add a layer of complexity to the Dropbox local software? Sure. Would it be worth paying extra for? Sure.

I've got a 250GB SSD on my Mac, a 1TB Dropbox account, and a 3TB external drive. Since I cannot link the Dropbox account to the external, I'm looking around for another provider.

Dear Dropbox -- I really, really, like your service. Please fix this.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?