cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synced date vs modification date

Synced date vs modification date

Explorer | Level 3

I recently purchased on new mac laptop and added the dropbox app to the computer. I use dropbox with local copies. What is very annoying is that a seemingly random selection of not recently modified (possibly in a year or more) directories in dropbox (241 out of 383) that I synced to my new laptop are using the date/time of the actual sync as the modification date in the Finder rather than the actual modification date of the respective directory. Why is that happening and how do I stop it? This extremely annoying as I use the modification date to help sort my dropbox directories on each of my computers to see which ones I used most recently. That is also how I keep track of the most recent files I work with. We use dropbox extensively at work and this makes it much less useful. We have our refresh date for our annual fees coming up, so I need to know if there is a work-around to this issue.

I did notice something similar to this every year or so where a subset of all of the directories all of a sudden have a modification date changed to the sync date.

3 Replies 3

Re: Synced date vs modification date

Dropboxer

Hi @Orest K., thanks for posting on the Community!

When you're viewing the files in your Dropbox folder, do they have the correct modification dates, or is it only the directories that experience the issue you're describing?

Were any files added to that directory when syncing to the computer, or any apps that could have made changes there, such as security software?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I cannot check them all right now because I had to fully uninstall dropbox because of this issue. I did not want all of the incorrect modification dates to propagate to my other two computers. But what I did notice on about 3 or 4 of them that the modification dates of the folders/directories were the sync date, but the files within the couple of directories I checked still had the original and correct modification dates. I did not notice any files with incorrect modification dates, just directories. Also, there were no files added to the  affected directories that could have caused the issue, and I don't have any apps running that could do this. Some of these directories are old ones from more than a year ago. If I look on my other two computers (desktop and a second laptop) the directories and files therein are not affected (yet).

Before anyone asks, I have smart sync turned off on all machines and, as a matter of fact, I have never turned it on. I really

I am reluctant to use Dropbox on this new laptop for this specific reason - I can't afford to have all my directory modification dates changed which then affects the order they appear (I use the modification date to store and see what I worked on most recently).

I now also have this issue that while I was able to delete all aspects of dropbox from that computer, I have one dropbox file that I cannot seem to delete which is a .kext file in a subdirectory of Library.

I would appreciate help for both issues.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Orest K. - thanks for the additional information and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

When you take certain actions on a folder in the Dropbox desktop app, the modified date of the folder may be updated on that computer, but doesn’t sync with other devices. You can find more about this, here

As for the .kext file, since you've uninstalled the desktop app, could you try following the fourth step mentioned in this article, to clear out any remaining Dropbox system folders?

Let us know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?