cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synced folders to my HDD wont turn local but stay cloud based.

Synced folders to my HDD wont turn local but stay cloud based.

Allard88
Explorer | Level 3

I had a problem with my harddrive, and I lost all my folders locally. Luckily, I had a backup on dropbox for these folders. 
Now, I want to use dropbox to sync these folders back to my HDD. I downloaded the dropbox client, and used selective sync to determine what dropbox folders I want to sync to my HDD. However, even though I selected 'local' in the client.. the folders that are downloaded still have that grey cloud icon. So they are not local on my PC. 

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? 

ps. I have the latest version of the dropbox client and Im running windows 10

3 Replies 3

Re: Synced folders to my HDD wont turn local but stay cloud based.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Allard88, thanks for checking in with us. 

If the grey icon you mention has a white cloud in the middle, could you try right-clicking on one of the folders and Smart Syncing it as local? 

Let me know if that does the trick for you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Allard88
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply, 

Your solution seems to work... So thank you for this

But im wondering..why is it not doing this automatically when I have it set to 'local' by default.. Is there any way I can make dropbox make everything local automatically

And as a follow up question.. just so im sure

Lets say I have Folder X (which contains multiple folders and is like 300GB)... and that folder is synced with Dropbox. So far so good.. But lets say I want to format the HDD that folder X is on. So I copy the Folder to another disk for the time being ( i have multiple). I format the disk..and then I want to put Folder X back on that disk. 

What would be the right workflow for me, to sync that folder again with dropbox? Without dropbox downloading all the files (which is not neccesary because they file are already there... 

Do i just re-set the drobpox path in the dropbox client to that Disk again? Because last time I did that.. and the files were already there.. I got a message that it needed to be empty or something

so please advise... I just dont want to sync /download the entire folder because the files are already there (and Im on a limited internet plan)

thanks! 

ps... what happens to a folder if I copy it locally to my dropbox folder on my pc... when I have selective sync on (and so this new folder isnt selected in selective sync yet because it wasnt there before? )

Lusil
Dropboxer
Have you made sure that you've selected for Files added on web default to be Local under your desktop app's preferences?

You can find these steps also mentioned here

As for your question regarding a potential disk format, you can find some suggestions on how to proceed, here and here

Have a look through the threads and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?