cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synching and unsynching

Highlighted

Synching and unsynching

Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox Basic on a MacBook Air, and for months I've been told it's nearly full. So I thought I'd delete some things, but it tells me it's going to delete the file from all my devices. This is not what I want. I looked to see how to selectively synch things, or to turn syncing off altogether, but under my profile, there's nothing about syncing under my preferences tab other than "Smart Sync Update for Mac" which is set to off. I found a thread about automatic computer backup, but that only tells you how to set it up, not how to find out whether it's currently set up. 

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Synching and unsynching

Dropboxer

Hi there @gina13; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

It sounds like you're looking at your account's settings online and not the desktop app's preferences. 

Could you try accessing those through your menu bar and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I am accessing it through the menu bar. Under Selective Sync it gives me the option to hide folders I don't want to see in the Dropbox folder on the Mac, but still be able to access them on Dropbox.com. There are 4 main folders which lead to 15 other folders. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Yes, this sounds right, Gina. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

So, just to be clear, if I delete a file from Dropbox, it deletes it from my hard drive as well? That's the main issue. Everything in there is an essential document. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @gina13, if you delete a file from the Dropbox website, it'll delete it from your Dropbox folder, and vice versa. 

If that same file though is somewhere else, outside of your Dropbox folder, it won't be affected. 

I hope this helps!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?