cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Synching huge files to Dropbox

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I'm running a film festival using Dropbox as a central repository for the movies. Some of these files are huge (like around 100gb or more). I've been trying to get one of these files synched to Dropbox by putting it in my local folder (which is synched to Dropbox), but it just keeps synching without result. 

Checking the user doc, I have come across some note that says the maxium file size for uploading files to Dropbox is 50gb, but it's not clear to me whether this refers to the online upload function (website or app), or to both the online upload function and the synch function with the local harddisk ? 

In short : do I have a problem using Dropbox with these huge files ? 

In the same user doc note, it was mentioned that upload via API was limited to 350gb. Is this then an option for me ? Are there any companies that have implemented this API for public use via an app or such ?

Thanks for reading!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Synching huge files to Dropbox

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox has no upload size limit via the desktop software. However, it will take a HUGE amount of time to upload that, so, when you drop it in to the Dropbox folder are you giving it enough time to upload? It will go to a green tick when uploaded and mousing over the Dropbox icon on your status bar will show how long, about, it has left.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox has no upload size limit via the desktop software. However, it will take a HUGE amount of time to upload that, so, when you drop it in to the Dropbox folder are you giving it enough time to upload? It will go to a green tick when uploaded and mousing over the Dropbox icon on your status bar will show how long, about, it has left.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm glad to read that there is no limit when uploading via the desktop software. I gave it 3 days so far, but I suppose it will take more than that. I'll be patient

Greetings,

Stijn

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi - I've been uploading a file that is 431 gigs for more than a week and it still hasn't shown any progress and I'm using your business account. If there's no limit, something's not working and I've already reset permissions. You folks really need to provide a service for clients with big files where they can mail in a drive. I'm spending 1200 a year for something that isn't working. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @bryansenti; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about the frustration this has clearly caused. 

I would like to look into this for you in a little more detail so could you send me a screenshot of the app's exact status shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Truth be told, this amount of data would need some time to sync completely to our servers. Have you tried adjusting your bandwidth settings through the app's preferences to see if that improves matters?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there, Bryan. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?