cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Dropbox with new Mac Photos (not iPhoto)

Highlighted

Syncing Dropbox with new Mac Photos (not iPhoto)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Is there a way to sync photos in the new Mac Photos app with Dropbox, just like there was with iPhoto? I'd like to switch to Photos, but don't want to lose the ability to sync.

89 Replies 89
Highlighted

Re: Syncing Dropbox with new Mac Photos (not iPhoto)

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am also interested to know how to sync or uploda photos from the new Photos app.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I was looking into this.

There's a Masters folder inside the .iphotolibrary package. In principle just linking that into Dropbox would be enough to backup — although that's not quiet the same as "sync".

The trouble is Photos strips out all the EXIF data from the stored photos – so just copying them would loose this. (It looks like it's storing the data in Library.apdb file.)

I put a little bit more detail on my blog: http://tbb.co/apples-new-photos-app/#storedexifdata — there I called stripping the EXIF data "anti-social at best"

My next step will be to try scripting a recovery of the EXIF data (but that requires a bit of digging). Short of that I'm waiting to see what brave explorers report from "Just trying it".

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I appreciate the response about the Master folder. But as I read what you have written, that is a master folder for iPhoto. What about for the new Photos app? If there is a similar folder, where is it? I would be happy to try and include it. Thanks! By the way, I really think that it is in the interests of Dropbox that they figure this out, just as they did for iPhoto.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

@George. Sorry I put a typo there — muscle memory I guess...

The Photos Library also contains a Masters folder — and it was this I was talking about.

The killer for me is the stripped EXIF data but if you're willing to try syncing the whole thing that may not matter.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have found Photos Library.photoslibrary, but don;t know how to locate Masters under it. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Open the Context Menu on the Photos Library (right-click, ctrl-click, two-finger tap) and select "Show Package Contents..." — it's there.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Thanks very much. Have you tried this? I'm a little worried that by moving the Masters files to Dropbox, Photos won;t work properly. This may simply demonstrate how unfamiliar I am with the workings of the app and of Dropbox, but your reassurance will help. I presume that, if it works, what would really be happening is that the Masters files would simply reside in Dropbox, as do my documents.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

NO! I haven't tried it at all.

I wouldn't just move the Masters folder. You could backup the whole library and then see what happens if you try symlinking etc.

You could also just put the Photos Library in Dropbox and see what happens.

Personally I'm more interested in back-up than syncing — and in giving Carousel the photos. My thought was to copy the Masters folder — but the stripped EXIF data means I'd be leaving a lot behind.

Your milage may vary but, backing up and seeing what happens if you just move the whole library shouldn't hurt and may be the quickest route.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The new library is located under Pictures folder under the name "Photos Library 2.photoslibrary." Right click on it, and you'll get the option "Show Package content." Click on it and look for the folder "Masters." It is that folder that should be synced with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?