Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Syncing a large amount of files to the Dropbox folder

Explorer | Level 3

Will Dropbox fix the problems with large amount of files?

The post linked below indicates that after 100,000 file syncing is slow, a known problem:  https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Starting-and-Syncing-taking-forever/m-p/211160

I belive many people and businesses have more than 1000000 files and would like them to be synced.    After I removed not so 'Smart Sync'  I have just spent many hours trying get dropbox to sync and it keeps crashing.  To get dropbox to work I have used selective synced to Unsync most of my files so that dropbox will stop crashing.  and after dropbox starts working I will have to go back and resync all my files.  So a 500+gb will be removed from my dropbox and then added back.  thats al ot of bandwidth and resources and wasted time.  This  aslo happened earlier this year when I migrated to a new hard drive.  All the files were transfered but dropbox would not sync them. Had to unsync and resync slowly.  Not what I am paying for.

So I ask will dropbox be adding capabilities to sync large amonts of files?

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Large amount of files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @dynomightdave, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

In general, although this is a soft limit that greatly depends on the hardware specifications of your computer, the desktop app's performance can decline if you have more than 300,000 files synced to your computer. 

However, I understand where you're coming from and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

I also wanted to mention that if you have any thoughts of features you'd like to see implemented in the future, you can also post them on our Share an idea section, where other users can comment and upvote.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, just give me a shout. Thanks! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?