Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing different sections of a Dropbox library to two different computer user accounts

BryanLush
Explorer | Level 4

I have a community computer in my workspace. I have an external harddrive that I have designated as my local Dropbox folder for syncing files that I work on, and I am logged into the work Dropbox account on my user account on the computer.

I created a second user to this computer, with its own login/documents, and the Dropbox desktop app is already installed for this user but needs to be signed in and set up. I am going to sign in with the same dropbox account I use on my computer user account, but I am going to use a different external harddrive to sync a portion of the Dropbox library for this new user so they can work on files relavant to them. (Each user will have their own syncing location via the same Dropbox login)

Will this work? I do not want to have any conflicted files or worse yet, a syncing error where Dropbox sees something not present in one external drive and deletes it from the other external drive/the cloud copy. I do not anticipate that both user accounts will be active/syncing at the same time.

1 Reply 1

Re: Syncing different sections of a Dropbox library to two different computer user accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @BryanLush, thanks for the detailed explanation! From what I gather from your description Bryan, you’d like to store the same Dropbox account's folder structure on two User Profiles on your computer, am I right in my understanding? 

If so, then the two separate user logins shouldn’t be an issue & you’ll sync normally once you switch from the first to the second, however if you sign in on the same account, then you’ll have two copies of your file structure. Generally speaking, we don’t recommend storing the Dropbox folder on an external drive as there’s a chance that the app will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed, however it’s always up to you to decide which one’s the best configuration according to your current needs & setup. 

I hope that this helps to a certain extent & I’m always here if you have any follow-up questions or thoughts. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?