cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing files without success (from Windows desktop to the cloud)

Highlighted

Syncing files without success (from Windows desktop to the cloud)

New member | Level 2

Hello

My dropbox stopped working well. It syncs some files, but not others. I can see it working on "Syncing 10 files" for days now, without completion. It says my profile is 87% full and I havve 5 Gb on my disk drive. 

How can I see which files are those? How can I make sure I can upload them to the cloud (right now those files are only on my Windows desktop) It was working before without any problem

Thank you

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Syncing files without success (from Windows desktop to the cloud)

Dropboxer

Hi @marinas; welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'll be happy to look into your syncing issue so could you send me the app's exact status as shown within your system tray/menu bar

To find out which files are still syncing, you can take a look at your Dropbox folder on your computer and see which files have the blue syncing icon on them. 

Lastly, until we get this resolved, you can upload those files to your account through our website via your preferred web browser. 

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hello Walter,

Thanks for your reply. The problem to find which files are synced is difficult, because lots of files are marked as syncing (blue icon) however I see them on the cloud. But some files aren't there (and the file names are short)

I'm afraid I'm missing some files on the cloud now.

This is what I see everyday, same 10 files being "synced". Some files are regularly synced, but I guess some have problems (and I can't figure out which ones, except for 1 docx document)

Untitled.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @marinas

Since syncing seems to get stuck at this exact number of files every day for you, could you follow the next steps and let me know if they improved matters at all? 

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running

2. Click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray and then click your profile picture or initials

3. Select 'Preferences'

4. Click on the 'Account' tab, and then click in the window under the tab (just anywhere will do)

5. Hold down the 'alt+H' keys

6. Click on the 'Fix Hardlinks' button

7. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones

8. Please wait about ten minutes to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1 to 5, but at step 6, this time click on the “Fix Permissions” button. 

Please note that if you use “Fix Permissions” syncing will start back over. If you need to use this step, please allow for a few hours to pass and let me know if syncing becomes stuck again.

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?