cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing folder between mac and pc

Syncing folder between mac and pc

New member | Level 2

I have 2 folders that I am trying to sync between my Mac and My PC.
These folders are identical (the Mac version is created by a program that is wrapped in Wine so I don't forcee any compatability issues coming up)

The issue I am running into is Dropbox itself.

I don't use Dropbox for anything else and don't want to sync any other files. 

When I go to the folder on either platform, right click and go to "backup with dropbox" get a popup to configure "want to keep your pc backed up" with "Desktop" "Documents" and "Downloads" checked. I don't want any of those synced so I uncheck them but then "set up" is unchecked.

So am I unable to sync a specific folder if I don't chose first to sync everything? Is there something that I am missing or is dropbox just not the option I want?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Re: Syncing folder between mac and pc

Dropboxer

Hey there @ninjonxb; welcome to our Community!

The computer backup feature is different than our desktop app's core feature which is syncing

If you'd like this folder to be synced across your devices (and the website), you just need to copy or move it into your Dropbox folder on your computer and let our app sync until it shows 'Up to date' in your system tray/menu bar

I hope this makes sense and please let me know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?