cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing is stuck on my Windows 10 computer. Can you help?

Syncing is stuck on my Windows 10 computer. Can you help?

Carl_in_MI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am running dropbox in Win10. I started having issues the last couple days with syncing. The icon would show syncing but the sync was not resolving.

I needed to make some space anyway so I moved about 2 GB of files to trash on the web interface and also deleted them from my local Win10 drive (in retrospect I should have maybe done only one or the other).

I figured I needed to reinitialize my Win10 machine since everything was on the cloud. So I

1) made a copy of my local Dropbox folder

2) Broke the link from my web interface

3) Uninstalled Dropbox

4) Deleted the AppData/Local/Dropbox folder after making a backup copy of that

5) Downloaded new version of Dropbox and installed, trying to skip backup of documents, desktop (and more).

6) Dropbox has been running now for hours and no online files are displaying and the one file that I transferred to my local folder is also not uploading. Dropbox reports 'Syncing' but there is almost no Dropbox network activity in the windows task manager (0.1 Mbps every minute or so).

7) When I try to access settings to check my settings to make sure it is not trying to sync my documents, desktop, etc., I can't access those settings. I don't see the 'import' tab mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I have a 'backup' button, and the dialog reports 'This PC: Automatically back up your Desktop, Documents, and more' but there is no checkbox to turn it off. But I don't see changes online or where to find if it trying to backup these items. But it has been running a long time and I don't see any progress.

I appreciate suggestions to reinitialize my local computer! I am baffled that the reinstall did not fix it and breaking and restoring the link. I have been nervous to make changes on my other two devices.

Additonal info: after looking at https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/files-update-issues, I find nothing in my Symantec quarantine. My hard drive has about 250GB free. The subfolders under .dropbox.cache are empty.

I am on a managed computer, so I am unable to turn off the firewall, but Dropbox is enabled through the firewall when I look at the entries.

I turned off my Symantec Endpoint protection, but that did not help.

When I sign out and relink, selecting Advanced, and then Selective sync. Dropbox cannot get a list of folders and after a short delay reports 'Unable to connect'.

34 Replies 34

Carl_in_MI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I did get my %HOMEPATH% set, but that does not help me.

I followed the instructions for an advanced reinstall at:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

The install process says NOT to right click and run the install as admin. But I need to run on a user account, not and admin account, so I ran without running as admin, but I had to enter and admin username and password to complete the install. Please advise if I need to reinstall as admin.

I am unable to set selective sync. The behavior is as before, no improvement.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there everyone!

I just moved over another post in the Community where it seems you're having the same issue with perpetual "syncing" and the "Unable to connect" error within the selective sync window.

This issue is most likely caused by Dropbox being blocked by an antivirus software of firewall.

If you haven't already, can you try temporarily disabling these programs on your computer to see if that helps? Also, please check that the Dropbox domains are whitelisted and not blacklisted.

If there's no change there, please also check your proxy settings and this article regarding firewalls.

@Carl_in_MI, since we've tried most of this already, would you be able to temporarily uninstall the antivirus software? Sometimes, if it's still somehow blocking Dropbox then disabling it might not be enough.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Carl_in_MI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am unable to turn off my firewall. I can see the UDP port 138 is blocked by administrators and it looks like some aspect of dropbox may be trying to use this port?

Stephen P
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am seeing exactly the same issue under Windows 10 build 2004 - Dropbox stuck in sync, but it is not actually synchronising.  It shows no errors.  However, a look at the Event Log shows it flooded with:

A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10011.

and

A fatal error occurred while creating a TLS client credential. The internal error state is 10013.This occurs over 700 times an hour!  Both are Schannel 36871 events.

Exiting Dropbox and killing the Dropbox service and Dropbox Updater stopped the messages.  I've tried the various solutions suggested to fix the problem, but to no avail.  Can anyone in Dropbox shed any light on it?  Meanwhile, I shall uninstall Dropbox from the computer.  Fortunately, I'm not very dependent on Dropbox.

Carl_in_MI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Stephen P - thanks for that information. That make more sense as the dominant problem for me also. I verified that I see the same error on my machine. Looking at my firewall logs, there are no blocked packets during this time when I started dropbox.exe and this series of error messages appear. My blocked firewall packets may be unrelated to dropbox and the TLS error may be the problem.

This makes more sense becuase I can see that dropbox has identified me and I can see my username and quota in my preferences, but when I try to set up a selective sync I get an error that it can't connnect, which makes sense with the TLS error.

On my machine, the Schannel event started when I started the dropbox client and ended when I exited. I did not need to kill the dropbox service or DropboxUpdate for the Schannel errors to stop.

My errors started on 7/10/20 if that is any help. About 2/3 of my event log of 225K events is this error that stops when I exit Dropbox.

BurtBumsnatch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try using IISCrypto.exe and checking "best practices" then apply and reboot.  Worked for me

John98683
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the same issue on multiple machines and eventually the only way to fix was using these ciphers in following order.

Use the following Ciphers and it will work:

TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA,TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA

Stephen P
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, IISCrypto did the trick!

Carl_in_MI
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, IISCrypto was what I needed also. After running with best practices and rebooting, Dropbox is now syncing.

jtl71
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What the hell is IISCrypto and where do I find it?

I have the same issue that everyone else in this thread has and have tried all the things mentioned. Only other piece of information I can add is that as well as just endlessly being on "syncing", Dropbox doesn't even recognise when I disconnect my PC from the internet. It still thinks its syncing when I'm not even online.

Need more support?