cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Syncing keeps downloading to local

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My DropBox account keeps downloading files to the local drive.  Driving me nuts and causing file conflicts. 

Using Mac desktop and laptop. 

Everytime I start up desktop or laptop files begin to download to local drive.  Why?  Smart Synch on all files is set to Online Only. 

I use Finder (prefered method of retrieving and working on files) at start-up and quickly highlight my entire DopBox to change Smart Synch to Online Only.  Have done so about 100 times.  I have contacted support 5 or 6 times about this issue - it must be a setting - they've told me what I have done does change the setting.  Clearly not.  Help please!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Synch keeps downloading to local

Super User II
Super User II

There's nothing in Dropbox that will indicate which process. All Dropbox sees is the operating system trying to access files. Other applications talk to the operating system, not Dropbox directly.

I don't know about macOS, but on Windows systems there are utilities you can run to see all open files and which process is accessing them. Look for something similar for macOS.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

If files that you've marked as Online-only are downloading back to your computer and being set as Local again, then something on your computer is requesting access to the files, and Dropbox is doing what it's supposed to; download and mark Local.

Any process that tries to access an Online-only file will cause it to be downloaded and marked as Local. This could be a virus scan, file backup process, a file browser trying to display thumbnails, etc. ANYTHING that attempts to access a file will cause this; not just you trying to open a file. This is the expected behavior.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich - 

Appreciate the insight.  How am I to know what is "touching" the file?  I will double check virus scan preferences, but if something else is there a way to determine what is the casue?

George

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

There's nothing in Dropbox that will indicate which process. All Dropbox sees is the operating system trying to access files. Other applications talk to the operating system, not Dropbox directly.

I don't know about macOS, but on Windows systems there are utilities you can run to see all open files and which process is accessing them. Look for something similar for macOS.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?