cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing keeps downloading to local

Syncing keeps downloading to local

gdouaire
Explorer | Level 4

My DropBox account keeps downloading files to the local drive.  Driving me nuts and causing file conflicts. 

Using Mac desktop and laptop. 

Everytime I start up desktop or laptop files begin to download to local drive.  Why?  Smart Synch on all files is set to Online Only. 

I use Finder (prefered method of retrieving and working on files) at start-up and quickly highlight my entire DopBox to change Smart Synch to Online Only.  Have done so about 100 times.  I have contacted support 5 or 6 times about this issue - it must be a setting - they've told me what I have done does change the setting.  Clearly not.  Help please!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Synch keeps downloading to local

Rich
Super User II

There's nothing in Dropbox that will indicate which process. All Dropbox sees is the operating system trying to access files. Other applications talk to the operating system, not Dropbox directly.

I don't know about macOS, but on Windows systems there are utilities you can run to see all open files and which process is accessing them. Look for something similar for macOS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

If files that you've marked as Online-only are downloading back to your computer and being set as Local again, then something on your computer is requesting access to the files, and Dropbox is doing what it's supposed to; download and mark Local.

Any process that tries to access an Online-only file will cause it to be downloaded and marked as Local. This could be a virus scan, file backup process, a file browser trying to display thumbnails, etc. ANYTHING that attempts to access a file will cause this; not just you trying to open a file. This is the expected behavior.

gdouaire
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Rich - 

Appreciate the insight.  How am I to know what is "touching" the file?  I will double check virus scan preferences, but if something else is there a way to determine what is the casue?

George

Rich
Super User II

There's nothing in Dropbox that will indicate which process. All Dropbox sees is the operating system trying to access files. Other applications talk to the operating system, not Dropbox directly.

I don't know about macOS, but on Windows systems there are utilities you can run to see all open files and which process is accessing them. Look for something similar for macOS.

View solution in original post

fitech72
New member | Level 2

Same here. Every day I have to mark "online only" and Dropbox brings the folders down again.  The only programs that have access to my whole disk are CleanMyMac, Hazel, adn SetApp, but they shouldnt be downloading my files again and again. This used to work fine but about a month or two so ago it is misbehaving. Very frustrating. I am considering buying an external ssd and downgrading my Dropbox 3TB account. 

Is there an easy way to find a suspicius app?

Thx

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @fitech72, if you're using CleanMyMac, then there is an ongoing issue which will cause files to download.

A recent post I replied to had a user, @bidc200 find this information out, so hopefully this will assist you in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    fitech72 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    gdouaire Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?