cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing not working.

Syncing not working.

had2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox instructions indicate that once it's installed on the two computers, you simply create a file on one PC and it automatically appears on the other via Dropbox.  I have been unable to make this work.  I have two computers with certain existing folders and I want all of these folders to have all the same files. I have been shuttling files using Dropbox, but if I could sync the two, I would not have to do the copying and pasting or moving of files and folders. I have researched this on the web and watched a bunch of Youtube videos, however, no one seems to explain this sufficiently clearly so that I can understand it and apply it to my situation. I am moderately computer savvy, but I cannot figure this out. What the heck am I missing?

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @had2, thanks for your post in our Community!

Indeed, when you install the Dropbox application on a computer, all your existing Dropbox files will sync to a folder named 'Dropbox' in your file explorer. 

You can then use this folder to add files and they will sync across your connected devices. 

To get started, I'd recommend you check out our quick-start guide that’ll get you up and running in no time.

If you have more questions, though, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

had2
New member | Level 2

Thank you for your quick response to my question. It seems I did not provide sufficient details regarding my issue.

First off, when I installed Dropbox on my PCs, there were no files other than the few Dropbox instructional files. As such, I do not understand your first sentence because when I first installed Dropbox, I had no "existing Dropbox files." I later copied or moved files manually into Dropbox so that I could access these files on the second computer. Over time, I added files to both computers in the normal folders, however, none of these were copied to Dropbox; they were just local files on my hard drive and had nothing to do with Dropbox.

Since I started working remotely due to the COVID pandemic, I was copying more files from my office PC to my home PC. Now I am looking to synchronize certain folders on my office PC with folders on my home PC. Up to now, the only way I thought I could do this with Dropbox was to copy or move files from one PC into Dropbox and then copy them again from Dropbox to the second PC.  I noted that Dropbox has a "sync" function, but I cannot figure out how I can get Dropbox to recognize the folders on both computers to keep them in sync.  I cannot get any files to sync over Dropbox at all.  This is why I am unable to understand your first sentence "when you install the Dropbox application on a computer, all your existing Dropbox files will sync to a folder named 'Dropbox' in your file explorer."  I installed Dropbox on the two PCs years ago, and nothing ever synced. So I have no idea what you are saying.

So getting back to my original question, how can I sync certain folders on two PCs that have had Dropbox installed, but I did not have any "existing Dropbox files" whatever those might be. When Dropbox is installed on the PC, it does not automatically copy all the files on the PC; you have to copy them to Dropbox, no?  Again, I have no idea what I'm missing, but I don't know anyone who is syncing files using Dropbox.  Thanks again for your help.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @had2, when you install the Dropbox desktop application on your machine, a Dropbox folder is created.

Any files and folders inside the Dropbox folder is synced to the site, and then to any other machine you've have installed the desktop app onto.

You can't specify folders outside the Dropbox folder to sync, so you'll need to move files into the Dropbox folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

had232
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, but the responses that I am receiving are unresponsive to my specific issues. The messages merely repeat essentially what is already available in the FAQ and the like, which does not answer my questions. No one has explained the steps involved to get where they are. This is understandable for someone who works with Dropbox all the time but has forgotten that there are those of us who need to start at the proverbial square one.  The responses ignore or gloss over the essential basics.

Jay
Dropboxer
In order to assist further, please could you clarify exactly what your specific issues are, as the information you've provided still isn't specific enough to assist further. 

Is the Dropbox desktop application installed? Are the files syncing? Are you instead uploading the files directly to the Dropbox site?

Since this is a different username, this means you have a second Dropbox account, are you aware of this?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?