cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing on MacOS and Windows 10

Syncing on MacOS and Windows 10

Dolphining
Explorer | Level 3

I'm a longtime Windows user and use the Android Dropbox app on my phone, selective syncing across three devices. I'm about to add a new Apple Mac to my setup. Is there anything I need to do before syncing the same files across all the devices? Should I not sync the same folders on Mac OS?

I know there are issues with sharing external hard drives between systems, because of the difference between NTFS and either HFS+ or APFS. Are there any related issues I need to be prepared to address with Dropbox? 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: Syncing on MacOS and Windows 10

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Dolphining, thanks for joining the Community!

If you're already using Mac OS, and Windows, then you should have your files syncing normally, since certain characters can't sync to other devices.

Are you on a Dropbox Basic plan, or a paid plan?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dolphining
Explorer | Level 3
I'm not using Mac yet. I'm planning to add a Mac to my set up next week, so I wanted to know what, if anything, I need to do to prepare. I'm a Dropbox Plus subscriber, with just over 1TB of data on the cloud, so I can't do a full sync.

Jay
Dropboxer
You can ensure that none of the folders and files have incompatible characters, as mentioned in my previous post, to ensure all the files sync to your Mac. 

If by 'full sync' you mean you don't have enough space on your Mac, you can instead use Smart Sync to keep the majority of your files online-only, which would be an option during the installation of the app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Dolphining Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?