Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing "up to date" but files which appear on the browser not appear in the folders on my laptop

JamesPope44 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I was granted edit rights to a new folder yesterday. I can see the files on the browser, but they are nowhere to be seen in my folders on the laptop. There is even no sign of the main folder the main folder down the file hierarchy under Dropbox.

When I click the Dropbox Icon it says "up to date". I have attempted to "pause" and unpause to see if this makes a difference, but nothing so far. 

The file I have been granted access to is 35GB! I appreciate that it is a big file and would take time to download, however, surely each file should slowly appear whilst the sync process was happening?

I have been using Dropbox for about 5 years and never had an issue. 

Help! 

3 Replies 3

Re: Syncing "up to date" but files which appear on the browser not appear in the folders o

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @JamesPope44, thanks for the detailed message!

Since you mentioned that you can see the files in the share on your account online as expected & your device displays an  “Up-to-Date” status, it looks like the file name has been the culprit here. Can you rename it omitting any incompatible characters & see if this gets that sorted? 

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Syncing "up to date" but files which appear on the browser not appear in the folders o

JamesPope44 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ah, I never knew a full stop was an incompatible character? The name was S.G.F.F. - I copied the folder over to another folder, changed the name to SGFF and it synched straight away! Why would the full stop be a bad character?  

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me with the news @JamesPope44!

It’s great that you managed to get that sorted by renaming. Microsoft specifies that the following characters are reserved: <>:"/\|?*, however your last message makes me think that the rename either shortened the entire path or there was a trailing space you got rid of. 

I hope my post sheds a bit more light. Have a wonderful week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?