cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Synology Cloud Sync error at 8TB upload

Synology Cloud Sync error at 8TB upload

TomCutting
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have an 8 bay Synology NAS drive for a small design office, we have around 10tb of data and we've been using the 'cloud sync' app to create a backup for the past couple of months. We've now reached 8.04TB and it's stopped working. We have a capacity of 9.84TB and dropbox suggest it's an issue with the cloudsync app on synology but thought it worth asking on here too

any thoughts would be appreciated, have updated to latest release and will now contact synolgoy support

T

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TomCutting
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got mine resolved in the end with a NAS software update and an increase in capacity for my dropbox (now at 12TB)

this is using 'cloud sync' with dropbox enabled. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there Tom - sorry to hear about this.

From what I understand, the setup you are using has the Dropbox folder on a NAS drive.

Dropbox could be presenting this behavior because network file systems do not send messages when files change. When Dropbox first starts it will do a deep file scan and will detect changes and sync them. However, during normal operation, Dropbox waits for "file update events" and only physically connected drives send these events.

The best fix to this problem is simply to move the Dropbox folder to a computer's internal drive. You can use the steps in this Help Center article.   

I strongly recommend choosing a location on the same hard drive as your operating system while making sure its on a supported format as well. Dropbox won't work correctly should the Dropbox folder ever become inaccessible.

In any case, good move to contact synology's support as you mentioned, they might have a better insight on this one. 

If there's anything I can do to help from my end, do let me know and keep me posted on your findings too @TomCutting

Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

For clarity, the OP isn't referring to the storage of a Dropbox folder on a NAS which is then being synced by the Dropbox client on a computer. Synology has it's own Cloud Sync app that utilizes the Dropbox API for syncing direct from the NAS to Dropbox.

Unfortunately, you'll need to contact Synology directly as only they can support their application.

Vazeel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello everybody,

i have a similar problem, and already ascalated to synology development team.  The error in the log files of synology cloud sync app are no connection to api.

I tried out everything, and some randomly file's of different types are not syncing!

I use dropbox from 2009, and with the desktop client program there have been never any eeror's acurred.

With cloud sync i tryed on another nas, bidirect sync, only donload, everything but nothuing helped.  Only when a drag and drop the problem files from my desktop pc (local dropbox storage) true the synology webbased file station.

I understand that they don't give support for tird party apps, but both big company's with great reliability can maybe work together for a trustable stable app.

I have data around 800gig's and you don't see this on small items, i've seen it in the logs, but there are over 100.000 items to sync and the log only displays for 20.000.

Dropbox support asked me to ask a question here, but the big question is, what is the real problem of all this ? When someone can explain and don't give a solution, i have to make a virtual machine with dropbox in it, what will give me a better solution, and then i can use LAN sync feature built in dropbox pc software...

Kind regards

Bart

TomCutting
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I got mine resolved in the end with a NAS software update and an increase in capacity for my dropbox (now at 12TB)

this is using 'cloud sync' with dropbox enabled. 

Vazeel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Tom,

i have the nas fully updated (synology nas), i have used 79% of my dropbox.  The files aren't very big, so wierd that i should have to upgrade, because on a desktop pc it runs fine...

I think i leave it by this because it will be a ping-pong game between synology /dropbox and i understand both of them to be nog responsible for data loss due to 2 same languages with a different accent 🙂

Thank you for the reply and have a great day without machine troubles 🙂

Maxaryaman2004
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did you do any price comparisons between different cloud backup companies (DropBox, Box, OneDrive etc) before making your choice to go with DropBox?  I have about 10TB of Synology NAS data that I would like to be able to Backup, but DropBox costs seems to be prohibitive.

Your thoughts please.

Need more support?