cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tagging/Photo Organization

Tagging/Photo Organization

cverplanck
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've read in many posts that unfortuantely Dropbox does not have tagging capabilities. Does anyone have any suggestions for the next best thing? How best to organize and locate photos when you have thousands saved?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, the ability to tag files is now available on the Dropbox site.

This article provides the steps on how to add, remove and search for tags on your account.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

mmmb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You can put a photo in multiple albums. You could create an album for each person, for each place, etc. Not ideal but it gives some of the same features of tagging. 

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

If you use the Dropbox desktop utlity, tagging works flawlessly.  I have several thousand images in my Dropbox account.  By looking at them through the desktop app I can add tags and search via the tags.  By using the website you are severely limited as to photo management.  Hope this helps.

thadfiebich
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Not to sound dumb.. but how do you open the DP desktop app? When I go to programs, I am brought to Windows Explorer.

mmmb
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I believe Scott was talking about the DB sync utility, so it is just the synced folder on your computer. Both Windows and Mac have file tagging functionality built into Explorer/Finder, so you can use that with the native search capabilities to tag and find photos. But there is no DB "photo viewer" desktop app.

Here's a link explaining tagging in Windows 7: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/tag-your-files-for-easier-searches-in-windows-7/

If using Windows, you can add the Dropbox photos folder to the Pictures Library, and use the built-in Windows date and tag browsing functions: http://techinch.com/blog/integrate-dropbox-with-windows-7-libraries

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I'm sorry for the confusion. mmmb is correct, I was referring to the Dropbox Sync Utility. It works great with tagging and searching photos. Unfortunately those tags aren't searchable from the website or mobile applications.

chippo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I don't really understand how hard it can be to implement a tag feature. I'm really starting to look for other sites to storage my photos at. Just implemented a tag feature and make the user able to search for it in the all ready existing search field

The Dropbox Blog is using this feature, why can't we have it?

matthewbyrne
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Try cloudfindhq.com - really good for smart tagging and retrieval in dropbox 

kievshawn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, could you please explain to me which App or functionality you used to tag photos from the Dropbox desktop utility.

Thanks

Scott N.15
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I just used the Windows File Explorer. If you use Windows just go to the photo in File Explorer and you should see the file details on the right. If not, go to the VIEW tab and make sure the Details Pane is selected. Then just go down to where it says TAGS and enter them in. Make sure you click SAVE. If you have several photos that you wish to tag with the same information, you can select multiple photos and do them all at the same time.

Need more support?